Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

20 page research paper?? :(

0odoo0odoo Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
So I'm in this class that has no tests/final but does require a 20 page research paper. I'm very sure there are a lot of classes like this out there and i just wanted to know how difficult is it really to write one of these kinds of papers? (given that you don't procrastinate) I'm just a little anxious given that i havent written one of these papers before.
Post edited by 0odoo on

Replies to: 20 page research paper?? :(

• nikkei325inikkei325i Posts: 1,657Registered User Senior Member
    Same here, except I have 2 other 5 page papers to write and my research paper only has to be 15 pages. Anyways, all I can suggest is start early. Set a goal of writing something like 2 pages a week and it won't be such a burden.
  • VTECaddictVTECaddict Posts: 2,486Registered User Senior Member
    definitely you need to start NOW. think of topics and do some preliminary research to see if you can get enough information to cover 20 pages. try to pick a topic that you would have genuine interest in researching/writing about. have a good plan/outline and keep to a schedule.

i had a 20pg research paper for my cluster seminar last year. i hated it. ended up with a C in that class.
  • UCLA77UCLA77 Posts: 656Registered User Member
    What course is it? When I majored in English, that was pretty much the norm rather than the exception and, at least for me, I loved it. I wouldn't suggest writing 2 pages a week. Rather I'd organize it much differently. To me, writing is the last thing you do. I always had Plan A and Plan B. Come up with a list of topics to research, and from the list, pick two. Plan A is topic 1, and Plan B is topic 2. That way, when you start to research, if it gets too complicated, or you start coming up with dead-ends, you can quickly change over to Plan B. Then start the research and the outline and finally, in the last two weeks, start writing the paper. It should write itself.

One more thing -- and this was just for English, but I'm guessing you could use the same thing for any other course: I found that C papers were simply regurgitation of material in your own words (of course, if you were going to USC, that would be an "A" paper) :-). B papers generally include a little more academic thinking, and A papers are those where you think out of the box.

Good luck and think "fun", not "chore". To me, it's like an open book test, and an opportunity.
  • UCLAriUCLAri Posts: 14,728Super Moderator Senior Member
    UCLA77 is a true scholar and gentleman.

Start early and work diligently. Remember that no good paper starts and ends with a final draft. Have it read and reread constantly!
  • 0odoo0odoo Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    thanks guys,
    actually the course that i'm taking is an honors course called science and society. and its about...well the title. haha and i guess i'm just a little anxious because i have no idea how the professor grades because he is actually an MIMG professor not a humanities one.
    has anyone taken the class i'm taking btw?
  • vega07vega07 Posts: 331Registered User Member
    vtecaddict, which cluster was that?
    60's cluster.
  • vega07vega07 Posts: 331Registered User Member
    thank god...

I have a feelin there is a 20 page paper for interracial too.
    you can pretty much expect a 15-20pg research paper for the seminar part of every cluster. so don't worry, you'll get to experience the joy too. :)
    how long does it actually take to research this kind of paper? to write? because we don't officially discuss it until 3 weeks before the quarter ends. like 8th week. :(
  • namastenamaste Posts: 3,027Registered User Senior Member
    for the cluster seminar, like 2/3 of the grade is based off the research paper and its various parts. so you wont be writing much in addition.
    can anyone answer my original question of how long writing/researching these kind of assigments take? i know its probably different for each class of course, but i just wanted to get a general idea. thanks :D
  • aoballer008aoballer008 Posts: 183Registered User Junior Member
    yea i did something like this my sophomore year from chemistry....it was like college level no joke....but the thing is it will be a breeze if u have all ur research organized and outlined and highlighted...I think it took me about 2-3 days to actually write the paper and edit. The research and organization is the hardest part..
  • allenaallena Posts: 1,716Registered User Senior Member
    Well it depends on the paper topic. However I've knocked out 20 page papers in the course of a weekend (Friday-Sunday). In the same note though I've had smaller papers take me several days. It all depends on the density of the subject.
  • __allie____allie__ Posts: 3,066Registered User Senior Member
    I did a 20 page research paper (APA) in a night. And got an A. Granted, the research was already done and I mercifully had an APA template, but still.

It's totally doable.