Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

wore my polo up to LA today, thinking about transferring out

LaxAttack09LaxAttack09 Posts: 2,183- Senior Member
UCLA is clearly not polo friendly....
Post edited by LaxAttack09 on

Replies to: wore my polo up to LA today, thinking about transferring out

• chanXchanX Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
    what happened?
  • mme-linmme-lin Posts: 2,813- Senior Member
    Congratulations.

I read an old post of yours where you considered history graduate school? What did you eventually decide to take in regards to languages? I'm at the odd point where I should be considering Latin but would rather take French and/or German at this point as a second-year. I'm even more worried that I might not want to study the Romans or ancient civilizations just because... I'll find more interests and that sort and it'll be difficult to specialize in the future. Heck, I've even looked at some sample language proficiency exams (from Harvard, Stanford and some others I think) and well, readability is important. I didn't think the passages consisted so much difficulty that would be akin to reading Les Mis
  • LaxAttack09LaxAttack09 Posts: 2,183- Senior Member
    I was just kidding chanX.

mme: I talked to a professor @ my cc who did his phd history program at stanford and has taught for over 25 years and he said that the language side of the program is important but not as important and everyone makes it out to be. You have to be able to "get by" in the language but in no means are you expected to be proficient. When it comes to research he said that what he did, and what former students have told him they did, is get "close" to a professor. Take a couple classes with them, go to their office hours, just kinda BS with em and then bring it up and they'll be much more open to finding you a spot either with them or with an associate that they know.

For the record, I've decided not to pursue the phd in history track.
  • hater_of_hatershater_of_haters Posts: 1,037Registered User Senior Member
    so what about the polos?
  • hibiscuspinkhibiscuspink Posts: 1,344- Senior Member
    Polos are for 'tards. Fuhgeddaboudem.
  • namastenamaste Posts: 3,027Registered User Senior Member
    what about them? DWAI. polos look good often too.
  • IBProcrastinatorIBProcrastinator Posts: 571Registered User Member
    What's wrong with polos?
  • PeppersPeppers Posts: 1,772Registered User Senior Member
    Polo's are preppish, and the woven ones seriously irritate my skin, but my wardrobe wouldn't complete if I didn't have at least one AE polo (sad isn't it)
  • bfired2bfired2 Posts: 721Registered User Member
    i love wearing polos, however, wearing them too often is not recommended. i'm in the east coast this summer and polos are everywhere...not too popular in LA for some reason.
  • katieg21katieg21 Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    i think polos look really good on most every guy, theres no way to go wrong.
  • west nilewest nile Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
    I've seen hecka guys down here with polos and with the collars up, mostly on foreign students though.
  • hibiscuspinkhibiscuspink Posts: 1,344- Senior Member
    Collars up = repulsive.
  • LaxAttack09LaxAttack09 Posts: 2,183- Senior Member
    agreed, keep em down kids
  • namastenamaste Posts: 3,027Registered User Senior Member
    yeah.. polos DWAI. but popped collars... no. dont do it in LA.
  • hater_of_hatershater_of_haters Posts: 1,037Registered User Senior Member
    eva since i can rememba i've poppin' ma colla, poppin' ma colla