Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How do I find out the textbooks my classes use?

rusoboy23rusoboy23 Posts: 447Registered User Member
Hi, I was told at orientation that we could find what textbooks our classes use online. However, I just spent a good hour looking around the UCLA and MyUCLA sites and have been unable to find out. Is it possible that the names of textbooks haven't been released yet or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Thanks!
Post edited by rusoboy23 on

Replies to: How do I find out the textbooks my classes use?

• KJSLyfe67KJSLyfe67 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    UCLA STORE: Lobby

Enter your ID and Last Name & Fall 08 and you'll find your books.
  • rusoboy23rusoboy23 Posts: 447Registered User Member
    Hmm that's strange for some reason it doesn't work, it just gives me an error when I press "Continue"
  • xleper17xleper17 Posts: 1,069Registered User Senior Member
    you can also look under "Study List" on myUCLA. don't worry about it yet, my classes haven't released textbook information either. I say check in mid-August, hopefully it will be up by then.

also, purchase your textbooks through the internet (amazon.com is pretty awesome), not through the UCLA bookstore (if you can help it). it's a lot cheaper.
  • BoelterHallBoelterHall Posts: 2,926Registered User Senior Member
    My advice is that you should buy the books online right now if they are available on the website. This is if you plan to save money, as opposed to buying at Textbook Plus or the UCLA textbook store.

Keep in mind that not all textbooks or manuals needed can be purchased online though.

Textbook vendors who sell online know when the peak periods are for selling books. They have the ability to set a quasi-monopoly in certain textbooks. The time when books are most expensive are the weeks when students start school (mid August - late September). I remember watching prices raise by 10-25% during these periods.

For example, a new book I just bought today is selling for $65-70, and could reach $90-100 by early September. The book costs $150 at the UCLA textbook store.

From my experience, purchasing engineering books overseas was the cheapest. The next cheapest option was from Abebooks, followed by Amazon, and then followed by Half.com.

Following the model I mentioned above, you now know when the best time to SELL your books. :rolleyes:

I used to find the cheapest books on Half, but now sellers on Amazon tend to sell their books cheaper by a few dollars.
  • hewhothrowshewhothrows Posts: 620Registered User Member
    some of the book names have "(ucla custom)" after the name. what does that mean?
  • xleper17xleper17 Posts: 1,069Registered User Senior Member
    that most likely means that the professor of your class (or your department) collaborated with the publisher to create a "custom" book. that means certain parts of the text of your book have been removed and other parts expanded, per the request of your professor. therefore, the book is tailored to the specific needs of your class.

they think it's helping... but it's not really.
  • rusoboy23rusoboy23 Posts: 447Registered User Member
    Hmm, I still can't view the books. When I try, I get the following message:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

/textbookstore/student_login_ch.asp, line 62

Anyone else get this or is it just me?
  • kutibahkutibah Posts: 771Registered User Member
    Yeah I get that message too. It's weird because it was working just last week.
  • liyana179liyana179 Posts: 2,581Registered User Senior Member
    i get it too.

bleh, i wanted to order my books...
  • hewhothrowshewhothrows Posts: 620Registered User Member
    xleper: does that mean i should buy the ucla custom and not from amazon? even tho its almost half the price on amazon?
  • hibiscuspinkhibiscuspink Posts: 1,344- Senior Member
    NO! get the amazon book. easier to resell.
  • barron123barron123 Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    Is there somewhere where we can find the ISBN for all the textbooks that we need?
  • barron123barron123 Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    awesome, that script code is very useful.
  • channel_26channel_26 Posts: 90Registered User Junior Member
    are ucla store textbooks (used) ever cheaper than amazon etc. (used) books?