Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Units vs. Hours

supery00nsupery00n Posts: 123Registered User Junior Member
When a class has X units, does that mean that the class has X hours per week? If not, if I'm taking 16 units, how many hours will class be per week?

Also, do most electrical engineers take 4 courses a quarter? Is taking 5 courses a quarter (three technical, two nontechnical) a bad idea?

Thanks.
Post edited by supery00n on

Replies to: Units vs. Hours

• NitNit Posts: 297Registered User Junior Member
    You can't count on units being indicative of hours spent in class.
  • PoorPlutoPoorPluto Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    Oh, I was glancing through the schedule of classes, and a 4-unit class meet twice a week for about an hour and a half each day; a 5-unit class meet twice a week for a total of SEVEN hours...

Why would anyone want to enroll in classes like the latter?
  • hibiscuspinkhibiscuspink Posts: 1,344- Senior Member
    ...because they have to?
  • BoelterHallBoelterHall Posts: 2,926Registered User Senior Member
    The number of units, although not represented in all schools, is meant to mean how many course hours spent in the classroom (lecture, recitation, lab).

UCLA doesn't follow this widely used "definition".
    5-unit class meet twice a week for a total of SEVEN hours...
    Also, do most electrical engineers take 4 courses a quarter? Is taking 5 courses a quarter (three technical, two nontechnical) a bad idea?
    Yes, 4 is the average that I've heard. 5 - 7 have been done. My advice is that don't do 5-7 unless you have an uncanny ability to manage time and/or have good work ethics. Also, if you have a bf/gf, then there is a slim chance you would survive with more than 5 classes.
    Units don't mean anything. Especially in engineering. It seems like people make a big deal out of it, especially when using it as a standard of how tough or difficult the workload is.
  • mrMOOmrMOO Posts: 864Registered User Member
    Yeah, you take the classes because you have to. Labs will kick your ass, as far as units go. Worth 3 units, but feels like 10.
  • BoelterHallBoelterHall Posts: 2,926Registered User Senior Member
    Two classes which come to mind are MAE 157 (8 hours lab per week, 4 units) and Physics 4BL (3 hours lab per week, 2 units, 12-15 hours/wk outside study for me).

Then there was the Disney class that was 5 units and probably hardly any work (ask liyana about it).