Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Ethernet Cable for dorm room?

notaznguynotaznguy Posts: 954Registered User Member
Uh so I'll be in Hedrick Summit this year. I remember my OC told me at orientation that there isn't wifi in the dorm rooms, only in the lounges. Or I do recall saying that there is wif, but it's very weak. So I guess I'd have to buy an ethernet cable right? Any know long of a cable I should get?
Post edited by notaznguy on

Replies to: Ethernet Cable for dorm room?

• AsuraAsura Posts: 188Registered User Junior Member
    Yes you need one, 12-16ft is good.
  • kick53rv3kick53rv3 Posts: 1,803Registered User Senior Member
    there is almost no wifi, you can kinda get it if you are really close to the lounge, as for cables anything around 6 would do really, keep in mind for triples there are only 2 slots for internet so you need to get a hub or router (i have a wireless router and it works fine, keeps my computer and ps3 online wirelessly and my roommates use it when they don't like to be glued to their desk)
  • DeucesDeuces Posts: 1,501Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah, unless your room is next to the lounge or two doors down, you won't get wifi (I did last year since I was right next to one).
  • BoelterHallBoelterHall Posts: 2,926Registered User Senior Member
    If you plan to be immobile, 6 feet is more than enough. Buy your own before school starts for a few bucks. If you buy at UCLA, just the 6 feet cable will cost you $10. (and more for longer CAT5s)
  • MadeInChinaMadeInChina Posts: 1,392Registered User Senior Member
    there are a couple of people around the dorms who make ethernet cables. 50 cents per foot.
  • blizzard07blizzard07 Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    i know last year they added wifi connection in de neve late last year... does anyone know if they will be adding wifi to other buildings in the near future?
  • elcoHistoryelcoHistory Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    What is the difference between cat5 and cat6? Will they both work?