Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Decision: UCLA or BC

ramenloverramenlover Posts: 97Registered User Junior Member
Narrowed it down to two colleges: BC and UCLA
-Looking to go into international business
-UCLA has no business school but the Econ/Int'l studies major, while BC has a business school but no international business major
-Visited both schools
-Liked BC's campus over UCLA's
-UCLA is more diverse than BC and has a larger student body

HELP!
Post edited by ramenlover on

Replies to: Decision: UCLA or BC

• incognito123incognito123 Posts: 375Registered User Member
    Where are you getting the information that UCLA is more diverse than BC o_0?

+ are you saying that BC doesn't have an International Relations major either? Have you considered majoring in business, minoring in IR?
  • uchopeful73uchopeful73 Posts: 136Registered User Junior Member
    ^ hmm...from college board.....

Boston College 1st-year students:
    * <1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
    * 10% Asian/Pacific Islander
    * 6% Black/Non-Hispanic
    * 7% Hispanic
    * 66% White/Non-Hispanic
    * 5% Non-Resident Alien
    * 7% Race/ethnicity unreported

UCLA 1st-year students:
    * <1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
    * 38% Asian/Pacific Islander
    * 5% Black/Non-Hispanic
    * 16% Hispanic
    * 35% White/Non-Hispanic
    * 3% Non-Resident Alien
    * 4% Race/ethnicity unreported

well it depends on what constitutes the word "diversity", if you mean ethnicity,

then from this breakdown of freshmans, UCLA definitely has a stronger asian/ latino presence. So yeah, UCLA is probably a bit more diverse than BC.....
  • incognito123incognito123 Posts: 375Registered User Member
    haha I just see that one is 76% Asian/White and the other is 73% Asian/White.. not too noticeable of a difference in my opinion.
  • uchopeful73uchopeful73 Posts: 136Registered User Junior Member
    woah.........great thinking dude, but trust me...............66% white and 35% white
    is A LOT DIFFERENT (theres almost double the percentage of whites in BC than UCLA).

UC Irvine 1st years is 75% asian/white (WITH 54% OF THAT BEING ASIAN), and trust me, there is a VERY noticeable difference in the atmosphere between uci and BC.

um....so back to the OP, do you live in california? How much financial aid is each giving you?
    If youre instate, then its going to be really hard to beat UCLAs bargain pricetag.
  • seaboard1seaboard1 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    Take it from me, UCLA is much more diverse than BC. Not just in terms of race, but also just in terms of the people who attend. BC has a strong Irish/Catholic/Bostonian tilt. If you're up for that, then go for it...
  • ramenloverramenlover Posts: 97Registered User Junior Member
    @incognito: at bc, you have to apply for the international studies program.. but i have considered doing business with a minor in the international studies program..

@uchopeful: i am instate CA.. but only got loans from ucla.. either way, i'll end up with a bunch of loans (more loans with bc than ucla, though)

@seaboard: bc has the exact same atmosphere of my high school, so transitioning to bc would not be all that difficult (i don't think).. i don't know if that's a good or bad thing

i wanted to get out of ca, but bc's pricetag is daunting..