Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Question on Math 3A/31A

perrytheplatypusperrytheplatypus Posts: 19Registered User New Member
I found out for a pre psychobio major you have to take Mathematics 3A, 3B, and 3C, or 31A, 31B, and 32A. I checked the catalog for math 3A and it said Requisite: successful completion of Mathematics Diagnostic Test (score of 36 or better) or course 1 with a grade of C- or better. And for math 31A it said Requisite: successful completion of Mathematics Diagnostic Test or course 1 with a grade of C- or better. So one question is that can I take the Math Diagnostic Test at Orientation even thought if I didn't sign up for it? And if I do well on it then can I skip 3A-C and begin in 31A?
Post edited by perrytheplatypus on

Replies to: Question on Math 3A/31A

• independent09independent09 Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    for psychobiology.. you either do MATH3 Series or MATH 31 Series.. it's an either or, not both.

I suggest you do math3 series if you're confident about being a life science major but if you're having second thoughts.. math 31 series are more transferable meaning it'll be easier to switch majors
  • gmargosgmargos Posts: 179Registered User Junior Member
    yes you do the diagnostic test during orientation. you dont have to sign up for it - they just tell you the hour/place during orientation and u have to be there to take it. I suggest taking a calculator cuz it helps a lot
  • hereicome09hereicome09 Posts: 496Registered User Member
    You can still change/sign up for placement exams through my ucla.
  • perrytheplatypusperrytheplatypus Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    thanks for the help y'all. so i guess i take the math test and i think about which series to take. and i wont forget to bring my TI-89 ;]
  • perrytheplatypusperrytheplatypus Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    ONE MO QUESTION. I saw the AP credit page and it see that if you pass the calculus test with a certain score you get credit for MATH 31A. So does that mean if I got a 5 on the Calculus AB exam then I could skip 31A and begin with 31B?

Here's da link to the AP credit page for y'all who want to see it
    AP Credit - College of Letters and Science - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions