Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Junior College vs. Community College

flopsyflopsy Posts: 8,368Registered User Senior Member
Just to satisfy my curiosity, can someone who is a California resident explain to me the difference between a junior college and a community college?
Post edited by flopsy on

Replies to: Junior College vs. Community College

• deanzaholicdeanzaholic Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    they're the exact same thing
  • mexbruinmexbruin Posts: 737Registered User Member
    yeah no difference. different name for same thing like middle school and junior high.
  • deanzaholicdeanzaholic Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    Well actually mex, middle school includes 6,7, and 8th grades, while jr. high only has 7th and 8th grades. Just felt like being anal retentive today ;)
  • quitejadedquitejaded Posts: 1,816Registered User Senior Member
    LOL! They are the same thing! Its just when you call it a Jr. College, it doesn't sound as stupid.
  • mexbruinmexbruin Posts: 737Registered User Member
    depends where your'e from in Los Angeles Unified School District both junior high and middle school have 6th-8th grades but yes it may differ in different counties and or states. I was speaking for Los Angeles public schools where I attended school.
  • ucapplicant05ucapplicant05 Posts: 1,415Registered User Senior Member
    Oh, I thought the distinction was between Intermediate (7-8) vs. Middle (6-8)... btw.. I would prefer "Community College" than "Jr. College."
  • gsp_silicon_valleygsp_silicon_valley Posts: 1,542Registered User Senior Member
    Intermediate, JH and MS are all used in the Bay Area, and can include any combination of grades 6,7 or 8...sometimes even 9th grade as in Gilroy schools.

CC seems to be a more popular name than JC, but both are used in the Bay Area. CC is probably a more appropriate name as these institutions really DO serve the community well beyond the first two years of higher education.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 20,972Registered User Senior Member
    Junior college used to be the name (back in the '70s), but, due to branding concerns, they've changed to Community colleges. However, the old name dies hard. (Didn't want to confuse them with that Junior University down on the Farm.) LOL