Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Your Best Class at UCLA

therealisttherealist Posts: 457Registered User Member
what was the best class that you took at UCLA?

regardless of workload or how easy or hard it was. just that you thought it was the most interesting or useful to you. And does that professor teach here anymore?

I'm just finding electives that I can take, so any input is appreciated
Post edited by therealist on

Replies to: Your Best Class at UCLA

• Raychul07Raychul07 Posts: 484Registered User Member
    I think my favorites so far have been:
    - History 100 (it's sort of a class on the philosophy of history and how studying history became a profession) with Professor Hunt (who is an AMAZING lecturer, but I think she mostly teaches grad students)
    - Geography 5 (it's a GE class, but the material is actually really interesting) with Professor Gillespie (he's very entertaining but extremely liberal, just as a warning to any die-hard conservatives out there)
    - I haven't had a chance to take a class with him yet, but I've also heard that any history class taught by Professor Ruiz is phenomenal
  • TheRageKage12TheRageKage12 Posts: 562Registered User Member
    CS32 with Carey Nachenberg.
    - every Winter I believe

Math 31B/32A with Dr. Park.
    - No :(
  • MrSpamMrSpam Posts: 1,175Registered User Senior Member
    ^ Park was awesome and pretty easy. Period.

I did take him right after he got his Ph.D though.
  • kick53rv3kick53rv3 Posts: 1,803Registered User Senior Member
    ^ park gave review/sample exams that looked just like exams with a change in numbers :D

Corbin's class was very fun, no need to study as well since everyone fails the exams :)
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn Posts: 16,060- Senior Member
    park gave review/sample exams that looked just like exams with a change in numbers

There was a question on one of his final exams that he used as an example in a lecture.
    Everyone says Park was easy and I still learned the most from him :D
  • VTECaddictVTECaddict Posts: 2,486Registered User Senior Member
    For you Phy Sci majors (I know there are a few of you on here), I recommend Phy Sci 155 with Tidball.

Very experiment/research based, which was a refreshing change from all of the blind memorizing that most life science/phy sci classes require you to do.
  • MadeInChinaMadeInChina Posts: 1,392Registered User Senior Member
    CS32 with Carey - HANDS DOWN.

best professor at ucla. not only do you learn SO much from him, but he makes every lecture fun and exciting (poptarts, raffle tickets, airgun, stories from college).

every CS/EE major should take CS32 with him.
  • hewhothrowshewhothrows Posts: 620Registered User Member
    wait, did park leave?
    yeah, my friend was supposed to have him for 32B summer session c, and apparently he transfered to UCI. idk if he's coming back :(
  • channel_26channel_26 Posts: 90Registered User Junior Member
    ravetch. come on, he sings. how can you beat that?
  • MrSpamMrSpam Posts: 1,175Registered User Senior Member
    Park is ridiculously full of himself, but I guess he backs it up. He even posts the student evals that he gets.

Dr. Frederick Park - Assistant Adjunct Professor
  • GospyGospy Posts: 669Registered User Member
    Math 167 was pretty cool, even though it wasn't very complex. I probably enjoyed that class more than any other class I've taken at UCLA.
  • jiceo1jiceo1 Posts: 390Registered User Member
    Another vote for CS32 with Nachenberg and Physics 1A with Corbin ;)
  • imrightuarewrongimrightuarewrong Posts: 625Registered User Member
    Tie between ee2 w/ candler/ee 10 with briggs/math 32b with kucherenko

all 3 of those professors did the best job at clearly explaining the material while also making the class somewhat enjoyable imo

I took cs 32 with nachenberg also, but if you don't really participate a lot then it's not as great, but it was still a good class and well taught.

Also, if you're going by which class was the most interesting regardless of the professor then I'd have to say anthro 7 so far.