Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Passing Grade

GravyManGravyMan Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
I got sick the week before finals and had only energy to study for the three classes important to my major. As a result, I ended up with a C- for my GE class, Arts and Art 10, and I was wondering if this grade satisfies the requirement for "Visual and Performance Arts Analysis and Practice."
Post edited by GravyMan on

Replies to: Passing Grade

• notaznguynotaznguy Posts: 954Registered User Member
    Holy crap how did you get a C- for AA10? You didn't even have to study for that class, literally.

I was kinda emo when I found out I got an A-, but damn man. Are you Engineering? Yeah, it should satisfy the visual and performance arts GE. If you weren't doing well in the beginning, you should've just taken it as a Pass/No Pass. Didn't you do any extra credit?
  • silvercrosssilvercross Posts: 625Registered User Member
    ^Give 'em a break, some TAs were better than others (while some stricter *cough* Lana *cough*...) So far I can tell, browsing the various UCLA sites, it actually doesn't say anything about what is considered a passing grade for GEs. Just that for the grade "F" you get no credit or units.... so anything better than an F+ (lol, do any professors actually give that?) works?

GRADES
    UCLA General Catalog 2009-2010

Another apparently asked an almost similar question before (maybe it helps?):
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/431192-d-passing-grade-here-ucla.html
  • GrassBanditGrassBandit Posts: 663Registered User Member
    ^Give 'em a break, some TAs were better than others

that was the case when i took that ****ing class. :mad:

you have the option of retaking it for a letter grade, but i recommend you save those 16 units in case you have to retake more important classes.
  • TWSA50TWSA50 Posts: 210Registered User Junior Member
    I don't think P/NP wouldn't have helped you here. You have to have at least a C to get a P. A counselor I spoke to said a C- gets you an NP under the P/NP option. With a recorded grade of C-, you've passed the class and received GE credit.
  • GravyManGravyMan Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
    Okay that's relieving I guess, but I'll make sure. I didn't think I would end up with a C- quite honestly. Like silvercross said, the class was a bit of a joke.
    Errr, I meant notaznguy

I don't understand AA10. I averaged B+ for my papers; got A- for participation; and received a B on the midterm. I studied the night before the midterm and did the same for the final. But then I bomb the final (the first F I have ever gotten, EVER) and I end up with a C- for the class.

AA10 was suppose to be my GPA booster, but I got straight A-'s in my other three classes. They were history and writing courses, but it wasn't like they were handed to me on a silver platter. I am getting more flustered the more I think about it.
    Amazing. I sent an e-mail to Professor Winter and I got a response saying that my final was not graded so I get to go in sometime after Jan. 4 to look for my exam. What a relief.
  • conn1ex3conn1ex3 Posts: 383Registered User Member
    so a C- is considered to be a passing grade? My friend asked me this before and I didn't know how to answer her. C- gives you the option to retake the class again for a better grade.... but do you HAVE to retake the class? It doesnt state in the general catalog either.
  • uclaenggraduclaenggrad Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    C- will def get you a degree for a GE. Keep in mind though that a C- will not be considered passing if you are taking the class on a P/NP grade basis. This is the rule for School of Engineering,
  • GrassBanditGrassBandit Posts: 663Registered User Member
    I think you can even graduate with a D in a major requirement course. I remember that a lot of kids went to check with HSSEAS to ask if a D in EE 141 would allow them to graduate.
  • incognito123incognito123 Posts: 375Registered User Member
    to the last 3 replies, dude can't find his final, he didn't get a C-.