Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How important is it to get the newest edition (for textbooks)?

onedayoneday Posts: 518Registered User Member
Hi all,
I was looking at prices of textbooks on Amazon, and I noticed that while you can get an older edition of the textbook for $30, the newer one often shoots up to the $100-200 range. Do professors usually REQUIRE the newest edition, or would an older one be enough (aiming for B+, preferrably A range grades)?

The books I'm concerned about:
for MATH 20B - Calculus Early Transcendentals W/ Or W/o 2 Cd's, 5 Edition by Stewart (this is what's listed on the ucsd schedule when I click on the little book icon, however, I noticed that there's a 6th edition that just came out. Would professors change this to the 6th edition? Or am I safe to purchase the 5th one since it's listed on ucsd website? The reason I'm looking to buy this right now - rather than waiting for after signing up for classes - is that I want to brush up on the basic calculus skills :))

for CHEM 6AH - Principles Of Modern Chemistry, 6 Edition

Thanks!!
Post edited by oneday on

Replies to: How important is it to get the newest edition (for textbooks)?