Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Acceptance rate at UCSD

RCCRCC Posts: 125- Junior Member
Is it true it's only 8 percent this year?
Post edited by RCC on

Replies to: Acceptance rate at UCSD

• Wishing WaitingWishing Waiting Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
    FALSE

more like 30%

still much lower than any other year so congrats all
  • RCCRCC Posts: 125- Junior Member
    hmmm... well is it true LAs is 8 then? I heard someone's was 8 and I thought this was super crazy low.
  • AYEITSJAYEITSJ Posts: 133Registered User Junior Member
    ^maybe an ivy league. people commonly get confused between acceptance rates and matriculation rates.
  • QuixoticRickQuixoticRick Posts: 1,289Registered User Senior Member
    8% is Ivy League level.
  • Wishing WaitingWishing Waiting Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
    UCLA's was about 21% which is a little lower than Cornell's was last year.....i mean the UC system is the best public school system in the country and UCSD, UCLA and CAL are consistently ranked as some of the top universities in the country.
  • GroovyGeekGroovyGeek Posts: 889Registered User Member
    8% is Ivy League level.
    I believe that no school has 8% acceptance rate, the only one that comes close to that is Columbia. As someone else note, people do not distinguish between acceptance and matriculation. The former is usually 3-5x higher than the latter.
  • hockeyaerohockeyaero Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    Edited: my mistake UCLA acceptance rate was not 8%
  • collegemom16collegemom16 Posts: 4,257Registered User Senior Member
    UCLA was not 8%. Please prove your assertion.
    University of California, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

under the admissions section you can see that the acceptance rate is 8%. I know that wikipedia can be edited by regular people but the past years stats are accurate so I'm assuming this years stats on wikipedia are accurate too

Edited: Sorry my mistake it changed to 23%. It was 8% when i first checked it.
  • collegemom16collegemom16 Posts: 4,257Registered User Senior Member
    UCLA is rated "Most Selective", by the Princeton Review, with an admissions selectivity rating of 98 (on a scale of 60–99).[59] UCLA received 50,694 applications for the Fall 2007 freshman class, retaining its position as the university with the most freshmen applicants, a title it has held since 1998.[16] For the 2006-07 year, 11,860 applicants were admitted, 23.38% of the total.
    collegemom, i think you are right. it was my mistake. It did say 8% yesterday when i checked it.
  • Christian2Christian2 Posts: 833Registered User Member
    The figure according to the link is around 23%, I did not see any 8% admission rate.
    cross post with collegemom.
    christian, yes it is actually 23% i stand corrected. When the decisions first came out yesterday the number was 8%. I guess the people that posted it made an error and i assumed that the original post was correct but as you can see now that it is false.
  • hopefullybrighthopefullybright Posts: 213Registered User Junior Member
    I heard that 8% number floating around. I think maybe they had 4,000 people that they expected would actually accept the admissions offer, and someone got confused and wrote it down as the admissions rate. No biggie hockeyaero, there was a whole debate on this on two or three other threads :).
  • Richzz89Richzz89 Posts: 115Registered User Junior Member
    Where did they find the # of acceptances for UCLA? Cause I would like to know what the acceptance rate for UCSD and the mid-tier UC's (if you can still call them that this year) like Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara. Anyone happen to know the acceptance rate for these 4 schools?