Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UCSD or UOP pre-dentistry?

summertwilightsummertwilight Posts: 3Registered User New Member
I got into both UCSD and University of the Pacific for their accelerated pre-dentistry program. I'm so conflicted about where to go!

Can anyone compare these two schools for me, in terms of academics, social life, nightlife, student body, campus, etc?
Post edited by summertwilight on

Replies to: UCSD or UOP pre-dentistry?

• astrinaastrina Posts: 3,028Registered User Senior Member
    a nice place to start would be to read up on the relevant topics for each school.

UOP dentistry is a good program, i have two friends in it right now. i don't know if the accelerated prep program is also based in SF, i hope it is, 'cause the main UOP campus in stockton is ... uh ... ick. (i live 30 miles away)
  • i_losei_lose Posts: 589Registered User Member
    i concur. uop in stockton is not very nice. (i got into the acc. pre-pharm program and decided not to attend) but likewise, i heard the dentistry program is pretty good and people have definitely heard of it.

i'd IMAGINE everything is about the same, other than campus size and location.
  • deutschdeutsch Posts: 577Registered User Member
    i got in UOP prepharm, but I think I'm going to pass it for UCSD. UOP has such a small undergrad body. The small amount of freshman makes it seem like you're back at high school all over again.
  • flam253flam253 Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    yeah uhm go for UCSD......DUH
  • jasonlee576jasonlee576 Posts: 543Registered User Member
    If you are sure you want to be a dentist, then UOP is the better choice.
  • onedayoneday Posts: 518Registered User Member
    Here's why I picked SD:
    -UoP only guarantees you an interview, not a spot at their dentistry school. For that, you still have to work your butt off for.
    -$$$$$$$$ UoP is three times more expensive
    -If you realize during the middle of your undergrad years that you dont want to be a dentist, well, you just wasted money and your time.
    -I was drawn to ucsd, I felt nothing towards the UoP campus/location.

BUT, you should still visit both schools and learn about their differences before making your choice.
  • i_losei_lose Posts: 589Registered User Member
    If you got into their pre-dent program, you probably got a big scholarship (5-10k a year)...at least, this was how it was for me. This should cut down the costs so it's 25k or so...which makes the price a bit more expensive than UCSD.
  • deutschdeutsch Posts: 577Registered User Member
    what if UOP gave more money and now it's even cheaper than UCSD? Apparently the only reason you can graduate in 5 years for these pre- programs is because they expect you to be doing summer class.
  • MR. TubbzMR. Tubbz Posts: 422Registered User Member
    don't know too much about the program but as a Stockton native i can def say it's not as bad as people say. and UOP is a beautiful and self- suffient campus