Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Housing at UCSD- Triple vs Single?

ahsuahsu Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
I have a really good friend from HS, and we want to room together next year. Unfortunately, the size to people ratio of triples are really small, and my parents are extremely concerned that it's going to hinder my ability to study. We're both in Warren, if that makes a difference. Also, what is the party situation in the res halls? Is there a rule against having alcohol and stuff in the rooms? (I just realized how ironic it was asking about partying in the rooms when i'm mainly concerned about my ability to study in them...)
Post edited by ahsu on

Replies to: Housing at UCSD- Triple vs Single?

• astrinaastrina Posts: 3,028Registered User Senior Member
    the libraries are infinitely better to study. no friends, no internetz with which to distract yourself. there's a reason why the libraries get packed during finals week -- when EVERYONE finally has a reason to hit the books.

(but finals week is my favorite time to be in geisel* because of the insane stress levels there -- the top floors are SUPER quiet, even whispering will net you dirty glares from neighbors)

* never CLICS for serious studying -- too much socializing going on there. silly revelle freshmen.
  • ahsuahsu Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    CLICS? Oh yeah, I was also wondering what the study-hall-in-res-halls are like. I hear there's a study room in each res hall or something?
  • astrinaastrina Posts: 3,028Registered User Senior Member
    you should really just go to the library. studying necessitates that you avoid people who like chitchat. :)

and there are "activity rooms" in most reshalls (or at least somewhere within the college), but the majority of them are NOT conducive to working.
  • ahsuahsu Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks again. And dorm rules on alcohol and such?
  • ucsandiego915ucsandiego915 Posts: 1,643Registered User Senior Member
    No alcohol in the dorms or you get written up. All parties are off campus basically.
  • swirlieswirlie Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    get a triple if you want to dorm with your friend, and it's cheaper!

does anyone know the pros/cons of living in a single or triple other than the price and privacy difference?
  • nuboyznuboyz Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    single:
    more space
    no roommate

triple:
    might be cramped depending on ur roommate's style
    but maybe more fun with more people. or just hell...
    Yeah.. a single is nice because you wake up when YOU need to. In a triple, if your roommates have class at 8 am and you don't until 10 am, then you pretty much are waking up with your roommates every day. Triples aren't THAT bad, but I can't think of any pro's except for the fact that you'll likely meet more people.
  • WowCan'tWaitWowCan'tWait Posts: 281Registered User Junior Member
    i was wondering if u want a single but u want ur friend to be in a same suite as u...can you somehow request this?
  • asianamyasianamy Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    What is the likelihood of actually getting a single if you request it? lol
  • WowCan'tWaitWowCan'tWait Posts: 281Registered User Junior Member
    does getting ur preference depend on the time u submitted the housing app? Will i get a single in marshall if i turned it on the day the decisions came out?
    ^Yes to both questions.
  • SlorgSlorg Posts: 2,009Registered User Senior Member
    ucsandiego915, are you sure? I thought timing only affected whether you got on campus housing, and then singles were determined by lottery. It may be possible that different colleges do things differently.
    That's a good point, different colleges definitely might do a lottery! My bad... I just know for ERC if you turned in your app the day you were accepted, you have a ridiculously high chance of getting your room preference.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
    I don't know about the other colleges, but I definitely recommend a single for Warren. (unless price is a big issue) Warren's res halls are suite styled with 10 ppl in a suite. Most likely there'll be a couple of ppl in your suite you get pretty close to and it's not going to matter at all if you're actually in the same room or not. It's not like if you're in a single you're gonna be left out while everyone else becomes bffs.

It's just really nice to have your own space to study/sleep. You'll never lack ppl to talk/socialize/hang out with; it's the personal space that's a lot harder to come by.