Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is UCSD food buffet style?

ucsdercucsderc Posts: 19Registered User New Member
For food in the dining halls do we pay as a buffet?
Post edited by ucsderc on

Replies to: Is UCSD food buffet style?

• ChristianWuChristianWu Posts: 594Registered User Member
    At some of the other colleges it is. And at some it isn't.

OVT is a buffet style one. Argo was one, but it's under construction.

Haven't been the others.
  • ucsandiego915ucsandiego915 Posts: 1,643Registered User Senior Member
    During the summer most dining halls are buffet but during the year, all dining halls are the same and they are NOT buffet style.

You only pay per item. So if you're buying a sandwich, it's like $5.25 (they've probably raised the prices though). This system is convenient because you don't have to swipe a whole "meal" every time you just want a snack.
  • ChristianWuChristianWu Posts: 594Registered User Member
    ^ i did not know. Thank you for clarifying :)
  • ucsandiego915ucsandiego915 Posts: 1,643Registered User Senior Member
    :) Np 10 char
  • imacrazyscientistimacrazyscientist Posts: 1,016Registered User Member
    No it isn't buffet style during the regular school year. It's buffet during the summer, but the food quality is 10 times as bad. Not worth it.
  • RadianceRadiance Posts: 379Registered User Member
    Wait, what? OVT isn't buffet :O
    None of them are buffet, and to be honest, I think this is the best system for your money. I eat A LOT of food (3-5 meals a day + snacking) and I didn't run out till mid-Spring quarter. Buffet restrains you to the number of meals you eat, and you can't take stuff out if you can't finish everything :/
  • darkdudedarkdude Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    In terms of meal plan, is there somewhere that lists everywhere we can use them?
  • RadianceRadiance Posts: 379Registered User Member
    Probably, but I can tell you wheree!
    You can use your dining dollars (currency of which your entire meal plan consists of) at:
    -Any Dining Hall (Plaza Cafe, OVT, etc.)
    -Convenience/Snack Stores (POTS, Earls, Foodworx)
  • darkdudedarkdude Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    So stores like Yogurtland and the smoothie store near Price center, and the stores inside Price Center are not covered?
  • astrinaastrina Posts: 3,028Registered User Senior Member
    methinks it's high time for you to peruse hds.ucsd.edu
  • leaftyeleaftye Posts: 259Registered User Junior Member
    I would prefer buffet. I wouldn't expect fine cuisine. I'd be perfectly happy with thick burgers, ground beefs, eggs and chicken breasts....and fried catfish, but that's mostly because I miss Alabama...maybe crawdads too.
  • oldmanbikeroldmanbiker Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    None of them are buffet, and to be honest, I think this is the best system for your money. I eat A LOT of food (3-5 meals a day + snacking) and I didn't run out till mid-Spring quarter. Buffet restrains you to the number of meals you eat, and you can't take stuff out if you can't finish everything :/
    Sounds fair to me. Grazers get hit hard at buffet places.

I like pay as you go for most things. Don't get me started on cellphones and the silly system of buckets of minutes.
  • serenaxcheelamserenaxcheelam Posts: 347Registered User Member
    Nope, the "restaurants" at Price Center (Panda Express, Rubios, Bombay Coast, BK, Tapx...) do not take dining dollars, but you can use triton cash there (basically a school debit card that I found extremely unnecessary since you can just use your own debit/credit card. Triton cash is handy for laundry, though). Only the main school dining halls (OVT, Sierra Summit, Plaza...), Earls, and POTs take dining dollars.

Oh yes, and it sucks that those yummy coffee carts dont take dining dollars, else I'd drink it more often.
  • clagclag Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    i was once addicted to the white chocolate mochas