Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UCSD Football Team Referendum

UCSDfanUCSDfan Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
I want to know how many people actually want a football team at UCSD, so please answer the following question:

Do you want to have a football team at UCSD?
(Yes/No)

(Note: I understand that there are other issues that have to be resolved before adding a football team(like Title IX, bad economy, football stadium), but for the purpose of this question, please set aside all other arguments. Thank you.
Post edited by UCSDfan on

Replies to: UCSD Football Team Referendum

• subtle_overlordsubtle_overlord Posts: 211Registered User Junior Member
    Yes I do, but I would rather move to Division I before we do that.

I believe we already voted on this in the Spring Quarter elections? The majority of students said yes.
  • RadianceRadiance Posts: 379Registered User Member
    I heard that we had a football team before, but it sucked so much that we lost to Caltech? (***)
  • hitoyzxhitoyzx Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    It'd be nice but I don't care.
  • SDTritonSDTriton Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
    I'd love one but it's so not happening anytime soon.
  • Sasmita_ShahSasmita_Shah Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    It would be nice! But it won't happen anytime soon :/ Especially since the students voted to not pay at all/pay $5-10 each student, while the minimum to help start a football game would be $30 each student I think.

And yeah, we lost to CalTech o_o;
  • darkdudedarkdude Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    I would pay $30.
  • wandering_mysticwandering_mystic Posts: 288Registered User Junior Member
    Wait, we actually had a team?

Edit: I wouldn't mind a team, but really, what the school needs is just something to rally around.
  • SlorgSlorg Posts: 2,009Registered User Senior Member
    No. I don't want to pay $70 per quarter. Or even $5 per quarter.

I don't think UCSD has ever had a team, fyi.
  • ArcticArctic Posts: 663Registered User Member
    they had a team for 1 year but then alll the players got drafted to vietnam

http://www.gotritons.com/letsplay.php
  • oneeyeddeacononeeyeddeacon Posts: 231Registered User Junior Member
    Do you realize how hard it would be to start a football team? Firstly, there's the money issue, which will be a big problem in this economy. There's also the Title IX issue, which will get a lot of sports programs cut and will **** a lot of people off. Then we'll lose every game for at least 6 years because no decent football player will want to play at UCSD ($500 scholarships? C'mon...). And since nobody at UCSD cares about sports in general, attendance will be pretty close to 0, so the school will probably cut it after losing a ton of money because of it.

So, no, we really do not need a football team.
  • torreypinestorreypines Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    Its a question of priorities. Difficult to argue that given all the challenges facing UCSD at this time, starting a football program should be a priority. I view it as a luxury. Definitely not a need. And any resources directed to the football program will have to come from somewhere else. so, the opportunity cost will be high.
  • leaftyeleaftye Posts: 259Registered User Junior Member
    I don't care about a football team. I'd go to another school if I really cared.
  • $KingsElite$$KingsElite$ Posts: 2,320Registered User Senior Member
    ^I think that's probably a lot of people's feelings, including myself. I enjoy watching football, but I don't really care. I'll be at the basketball games though.
  • UCaliforniaUCalifornia Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    I would pay that extra fee for a football team and yes, I do care. Thank you very mucho =p