Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How bad is a W?

pineapplelolliepineapplelollie Posts: 427Registered User Member
I don't know if I can pull off a good grade in Math 20F and I really don't want a C.
I'm considering a management science major... not completely sure though.

If I end up dropping, I may never even take this class again because maybe I'll just do regular econ.

But I just feel really conflicted and the deadline to drop is tomorrow. I don't know if I should just go through it and end up with a mediocre grade or drop and perhaps retake for a much better grade.

I'm a freshman and this is the first time I'm considering to get a W in a class. Without this class, I'd still be taking 16 units (this was my fifth class).

Does a W really matter- grad/med/professional school wise?
Post edited by pineapplelollie on

Replies to: How bad is a W?

• hopefullyokayhopefullyokay Posts: 257Registered User Junior Member
    One in freshman year--not so much, just don't make it a habit.
  • OoPurestOoOoPurestOo Posts: 894Registered User Member
    If you take it again, you really have to make it an A to disregard the W.
  • SlorgSlorg Posts: 2,009Registered User Senior Member
    A W does not matter. I had a W sophmore year but I got into almost every top engineering graduate school in the country with full funding at all of them.
  • VadoffVadoff Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    1-3, especially early, isn't that bad.
    Any more, or later on, could raise flags.
  • ChristianWuChristianWu Posts: 594Registered User Member
    1-3 W through your four years in college are not bad at all, most. graduate schools actually expect them. Whether its due to family issues, health, or just personal issues, a simple statement in your essay to your grad school will clear it up, they don't care about a W, they care about research.

I already have a W simply because I got stressed over with a full load (20+ units). I regret it, but I spoke to my advisers and ALL of them say it doesn't really matter AT ALL.

So don't sweat it if you have 1 W in your 1-2 years in college or even 3, just don't get anymore than that haha!

Good Luck!
  • OyamaOyama Posts: 2,486Registered User Senior Member
    I wouldn't even address them in your SOP. Not a big deal as long as it doesn't turn into a quarterly habit.