Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What was the acceptance rate for UCSC?

nikakittyynikakittyy Posts: 10Registered User New Member
I'm just curious because I heard a lot of people from my school got rejected. Also, UCLA went down from like 22% to 8%
Post edited by nikakittyy on

Replies to: What was the acceptance rate for UCSC?

• LieselLiesel Posts: 746Registered User Member
    Last year, the admit rate was about 70%, according to a packet about UCs I got this year. I don't think they'll release stats for acceptances this year for a little while. I wouldn't be surprised if it's down to something like 60-65%.
  • nikakittyynikakittyy Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Yeah, I think it's down even more though because barely anyone got rejected last year
    we really are the unlucky class of '13 if the rates are going down so drastically
    Yeah, bad time to be entering college because of the economy. On the other hand, by the time we're out of college...hopefully things will be better.

Also, in past years 80% was the admit rate. Some of the reason it's gone down is that UCSC is suddenly not so much a "loser" UC. :P
    yeah, haha. i'm kind of disappointed I didn't get in anywhere else, but really excbied anyway because UCSC was my second choice. I think everyone who got into any UC should be happy though judging with how things are this year
  • arkhoundarkhound Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    27,247, approximately 600 fewer than last year.

We admitted 17,249 students to enroll a class of 3,500 students. Our enrollment target is lower than the number of freshmen who enrolled for fall 2008.

9,998 freshman applicants were denied admission.

Taken directly from the Information for First-Year Students Not Offered Admission FAQ.

So, that means there admit rate is about 63.31%, nice call Liesel

I was of the 9,998 not admitted =(, but I am appealing, I read somewhere else that the appeal rate is about 7%, so...wish me luck?
    Yup, that makes perfect sense.
    I heard that last year there was a sudden jump in # of people who chose to enroll in UCSC, and they got caught off guard by it. So no surprise that they would aim for a lower enrollment target.
    I'm surprised that the number of applicants was lower, though.
  • SkadforlifeSkadforlife Posts: 274Registered User Junior Member
    ^ The number of applicants was lower due to the economy. A lot of people are choosing to stay at home and choose a college close to where they live. Santa Cruz isn't considered a metropolitan area, so they had a decrease in applications because of this. Haha, I read it in the newspaper.
    Reasons I want to go so badly...
    UC with a Game Design degree
    Away from home experience
    Visited the campus, its beautiful
  • SyriusSyrius Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    I hope your appeal is successful arkhound.
    Thank you Syrius
  • ZeacZeac Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    What I was really suprised about was that the acceptance rate at davis was around 11%...
  • Cali TrumpetCali Trumpet Posts: 1,607Registered User Senior Member
    ^ That is not the acceptance rate. There is a yield rate as well. Is more towards the low 40%, just my guess.
  • MaMooseMaMoose Posts: 263Registered User Junior Member
    ^Cali's right.

You need to take applications times acceptance rate times yield rate to get enrollment.

It's not uncommon for a university to say something like "we received 50,000 for 5000 freshmen slots," which makes it sound like they have a 10% admission rate. But what's really more likely is that they accept 20,000 applicants (40% acceptance) and then have a 25% yield rate, which results in having 5000 new freshmen.