Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UCF with connections to Disney World?

AlfieismAlfieism Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
The biggest pull to me about UCF is how close it is with Disney World, a place I've seen various shows and dinner theatres at and have loved since I was a little kid. Does UCF have any connections with getting its students auditions at Disney?

Thanks!
Post edited by Alfieism on

Replies to: UCF with connections to Disney World?

• BeezeBeeze Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    UCF doesn't "get" their students Disney auditions - but the students in UCF's theatre major programs tend to get cast readily - I'm sure the auditioners take note when a resume proclaiming BFA training at UCF comes in front of them. All the same - the UCF students working at Disney work alongside students from community colleges, non theatre students, and professional working actors. All in all - the favor you get at Disney from being a UCF MT major is minimal if at all. :)
  • Wonky-FaintWonky-Faint Posts: 395Registered User Member
    how far away is UCF from disney world? just curious.
  • Bigjmaster14Bigjmaster14 Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
    about 15 mins
  • mom at homemom at home Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    Actually I use to live in Orlando and DisneyWorld is alot farther than 15 minutes from the school. If you take the 417 and connect to access roads it will take a minimum of 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. WDW is in Central West Osceola County and UCF is in Very East Orange County.
  • dance2nite926dance2nite926 Posts: 201Registered User Junior Member
    Agreed with "mom." UCF isn't THAT close to Disney (or Universal).
  • DisneyDirectorDisneyDirector Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    but their connections are...
  • mtdog71mtdog71 Posts: 498Registered User Member
    The proximity to WDW and the truth that UCF students do often work at Disney is a draw for the school. You might want to wonder what that really means - theme park work for a few years - it is a great job for students - but few make a living over a period of time at Disney. I would have been more impressed with their former connection to the Orlando Shakespeare festival - but I think that has ended. On the other hand, if you love the warm weather, and love the entertainment available in the Orlando area - that's a horse of another color. For those considering UCF, I really suggest a visit to the school where you should note the facilities for classes and performance. A real cautionary note - similar to some other state schools across the country - is the draconian cuts to in state funding and how that affects the levels of instruction.
    If a performer desires to make a living over a period of time at Disney there are many who have and still do. I know many performers who still find joy in their work at Disney and others who have transitioned into other roles for the Comany - all making a very fine living doing so.
    If a performer desires to make a living over a period of time at Disney there are many who have and still do. I know many performers who still find joy in their work at Disney and others who have transitioned into other roles for the Company - all making a very fine living doing so.
  • mtdog71mtdog71 Posts: 498Registered User Member
    Folks, please do not misunderstand - I love Disney and I think theme park work, cruise ship work, MT, drama, underground, regional, eq and non-eq - its all work and is all very valid and worthwhile. DisneyDirector, you know , as well as I, that very few UCF students have ended up with long term employ at Disney - not that is imposible - just not very likely.
    My real point is - check out the facilities, and be aware of the ebb and flow of budgets and personnel - and how that might affect the level of instruction. Many are struck by the budget issues - but California and Florida are notably deeper in trouble funding their higher ed.

Good information helps students make good choices.