Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How do we find out what books we need for our classes?

letloose15letloose15 Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
So I'm pretty new to the college life. I'm starting classes soon. How do we know what specific books we'll need for our classes? Do we just find out the day we begin class? Is it in myUCF?

I'm taking one class during the summer (to get adjusted to campus life). the class is FIL 2030 History of Motion Pictures. Does anyone know what book I'll need for this class?
Post edited by letloose15 on

Replies to: How do we find out what books we need for our classes?

• OminousRunOminousRun Posts: 690Registered User Member
    If you go to the bookstore with your class schedule (Class Title AND section number/professor, ie MAC2311 Sec 0025), all of the books are organized neatly into class number/section.

You can also do it online through myUCF, but I'm not as familiar with that way.

The other bookstores off campus also set up their shelves by class number/section.

I don't recommend buying books until the week classes start, though.
  • letloose15letloose15 Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    Ok, thank you very much!
  • ericiidxericiidx Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    I definitely recommend going the online route, JUST to find out what books you need. A link to UCF's on-campus book store:

http://ucf.bncollege.com/

There, you can put in your semester and class code to find out exactly what book you will need for the class. Waiting until the first day of class is a financially good idea, as some professors will not even require you to buy the book.

It's also a good idea to check other resources, such as half.com, to find the best price on a book. I was able to pick up a book and solution manual for $60 total, whereas the UCF book store wants around $160 for used copies!
  • ucfstudent1111ucfstudent1111 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Check out bookstores in the area. Textbooksolutions.com shows you their price, half.com's price, and amazon. And you put in your schedule just like the book store. But the book store is a rip off. Get them for much cheaper elsewhere.