Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does U of Chicago send everyone lots of unsolicited mail or just me?

tegauntttegauntt Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2013 in University of Chicago
My stats aren't stellar (3.85UW, 790CR/680M) but for some reason I've been receiving absurd amounts of mail from UChicago. I'm talking two or three times a week. I've gotten more than 50 pieces of mail from them (I piled them all up), including postcards with my name in Gothic lettering, posters, artbooks, full-color fold out campus photos, etc. And talking to my friends, they seem to feel pretty courted if a college sends three or four pieces of mail their way. I'm by no means a hooked student in any conventional sense, is this normal? Or did I manage to get my name copied down ten times on the mailing list?

Thanks!
Post edited by tegauntt on

Replies to: Does U of Chicago send everyone lots of unsolicited mail or just me?

• GoldenWestGoldenWest Posts: 326Registered User Member
    There is no way my daughter has the stats to be accepted there, but we have gotten a ridiculous amount of mail from them as well. I find it bordering on offensive; clearly they are just trying to increase the number of applicants.
  • AlbionGirlAlbionGirl Posts: 331Registered User Member
    My son gets several mailers a week from U Chicago. It's become a joke at our house!
  • huehuehue32huehuehue32 Posts: 555Registered User Member
    I have got a ton too. Maybe not 50 but definitely over 20. I planned on applying to uchicago before getting all the mail, but I find it in poor taste for such a selective school to so aggressively court applicants, knowing that over 9 out of 10 of their applicants won't even get in. For a school so centered on intellectualism it seems surprising that they want students to apply because they got spammed with mail.
  • Cue7Cue7 Posts: 1,668Registered User Senior Member
    If the mail offends you in any way, call the admissions office and they will take you off the mailing list immediately and apologize. A family friend did this recently.

Either enjoy being courted a bit by a top school or absolutely get off the list. Uchicago is certainly trying to drive up their selectivity, but in the full contact sport of modern admissions, they must.
  • TheBankerTheBanker Posts: 240Registered User Junior Member
    I do hope Chicago tones down their marketing once rankings/selectivity stabilize. This was justifiable a few years ago when no one had heard of UChicago, but certainly not the case today.
    TheBanker:

I disagree strongly. Admissions, for better or worse (I think worse, but this is the reality), is a full contact, competitive sport now between top schools. Asking UChicago to taper down marketing efforts would be comparable to asking Apple to ratchet down iphone ads, because past sales for the iphone were successful.

It's not in the interest of the school to do anything but compete as strongly as possible. If UChicago slows on this front, it will only give its competitors time to catch up.

This may be a sad state of affairs, but it's the world we live in now. You can lament the overall practice (and I do), but don't castigate the participants. Unless all schools issue a moratorium on this, there's no way one school can stand alone.
  • TheBankerTheBanker Posts: 240Registered User Junior Member
    Chicago is probably the only top 10 school that advertises this much. It may even advertise the most out of all colleges in the entire country. I don't see Chicago's peers doing this, much less other institutions far off Chicago's radar, and I think if Chicago is the one that initiates a new era of mass-marketing, it will be very bad for students. Alternatively, other institutions may agree that mass-marketing is in bad taste, and Chicago will be the only one doing this. More likely, other institutions are constrained by their budgets. Anyway, I'm not an expert on this...I'm sure the Chicago admissions office know what they are doing and what the consequences are, and I trust they make the right decisions.
  • PsychoDad10PsychoDad10 Posts: 1,187Registered User Senior Member
    While I agree that it may seem offensive to target students who stand no chance of admission just to drive up the number of applications, in the end, we need to realize that colleges are business entities. We can talk about the prestige of academia and intellectualism, but in the end it is a business. My son got the same emails and mailings from UC but decided it definitely was not the place for him, and so he never applied. Just because a student gets a lot of mail from a school does not bind the student to apply.
    I think most other schools - even top schools - are constrained by budget. Uchicago had a massive admissions staff and a significant budget. (As an example, uchicagos college isn't much larger than Dartmouth, but it has twice the admissions staff.)

Given the above stats, I don't think other schools are light on advertising out of some sense of morals or the like. Rather, marketing and ads are expensive.

Remember, unlike many other top schools, uchicagos leaders - about five or six years ago- focused strongly on investing and improving the college. Recent trends are a part of that. If the marketing will lead to a class that is more selective than Harvards with a higher overall sat score, I don't think any uchicago leaders will complain. Further, the news will not be well received in Cambridge or palo alto, etc.
  • alopez14alopez14 Posts: 108- Junior Member
    I'm from Michigan and don't think I have the numbers for UC but they are sending me so many materials. I am probably going to go to U of Michigan and hadn't even considered Chicago. I did pretty well on my ACT and my GPA is pretty strong, but both are short of their averages. I am Hispanic. Other than that I don't know what info they have or why they started sending me things.

Are they actually gunning for me or do they just want me to apply so they can have more applications and bolster their rejection rate?
  • stemitstemit Posts: 509Registered User Member
    Marketing, marketing, marketing.
    Marketing to me? Why? Nobody else in my group of friends received anything from them.
  • baileyj57baileyj57 Posts: 621Registered User Member
    Your friends probably have not taken the ACT/SAT/PSAT or did not put any/correct contact information on it. That's where colleges typically get their mailing lists.
    All of my friends took the ACT in the spring with me.
  • Edgarm116Edgarm116 Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    They sent me some too and I have just above average grades.. And my sat wasn't good.