Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Does U of Chicago send everyone lots of unsolicited mail or just me?

15678911»

Replies to: Does U of Chicago send everyone lots of unsolicited mail or just me?

• ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    edited June 29
    Marketing is necessary when you have a nondescript geographical name like the University of Chicago and no high profile sports. There is nothing dishonest about getting on the radar of high school students in the same way that your rivals already are merely by virtue of things outside of academics.

If UChicago had been named Rockefeller University at the start and stayed in the Big Ten for football, it would be as well known among high schoolers as Stanford and Duke and it would send out less mailers. But it didn't.. There is nothing dishonest about getting on the radar of high school students in the same way that your rivals already are merely by virtue of things outside of academics. Any anyone who thinks it is immoral or deceitful because it pull in applications from less qualified students is full of crap, because Stanford and Duke get huge amounts of applications from less qualified students as well. It comes with the territory of being well-known and desirable.

Ask Princeton if they wish they were still called the "College of New Jersey" and what that might mean for their prestige and applicant pool.
    @melvin123 it didn't send us a t-shirt until my daughter was accepted to the College. None of her friends got one at all, even though many applied to the College (they didn't get in).

I wonder if @57special got one because of baseball?
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 263 Junior Member
    Just realized that S1, besides the baseball thing, went to U of C for a model UN conference, so they might have gotten his name from there. Most of the other team (as in model UN team)members have outstanding, U of C worthy academic stats, so he might've just got some fringe bennies.

oops, just checked with S1. None of the model UN'ers (they of the 36 ACT, 4.0 GPA ilk) got T-shirts. My boy is truly blessed, and he is ... THE ONE!
    @57special that makes sense. All we got from UChicago were a couple of mailings (and a lot less mail than many other schools sent).
    So, the ACT is now up to 33, and besides the aforementioned T-shirt and numerous expensive, glossy flyers, S1 has now received the "little Red Book". Again, very few, if any, of his high achieving friends(with better stats) have received anything from U of C. Kind of confusing who they pick to target. I don't think baseball is a factor, or he would've had some preliminary contact from the coach, surely?
  • PureShoresPureShores Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    I really don't like how colleges keep blasting me with spam, but at least I'm smart enough to realize that schools like UChicago just do it so they get more unqualified applicants, lowering their acceptance rate. Unfortunately, one of my mutual friends believes that just because selective universities sends them mail means they're genuinely interested in them. I wonder how much it costs UChicago to do all this marketing.
    Ok, it's getting weird.

Mail has actually slowed down a bit, but U of C coach called S1 and invited him to a camp, asked for academic info, etc.. He saw him at a Showcase, but WELL after the mailing blitz. There is slim to no chance that U of C admissions would be mailing things to us one year before he came on to the coach's radar.

Who knows? Is this all some sort of elaborate plan to get S1 to apply to U of C, then reject him?

Is U of C admissions so good that they can actually see into the future with some experimental device cooked up in their renowned physics labs? If so, why the hell are they using it to help fill out their baseball team roster?

I had poured a lot of cold water on the idea of U of C, so as not to have S1 get his hopes up, then dashed, but it's very odd how things have progressed with this school. There is actually a fit there, I think, as S1 is pretty passionate about Econ, and we have family both in Chicago and on the faculty, and he's a damn good SS, but there is now way that U of C would've known that...unless they are really, really, good!

Watching all this with a protective, but somewhat bemused, eye.

• HydeSnarkHydeSnark Registered User Posts: 678 Member
    edited September 22
    @57special U of C carpetbombs a lot of people with a ton of mail. It's probably just a coincidence that your son ended up on their mailing list and then attracted the coach's interest later.
    I think you're right.

It is funny how it's working out, though.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 2,380 Senior Member
    edited September 22
    @57special assuming SS is shortstop? Don't know my athletic lingo.

But wouldn't your son be a potential hook if he caught the coach's eye? That would help his chances as would applying ED/EDII (he would be given specific instructions on application plan at some point).

My niece is awaiting a likely letter from from an Ivy right now and from everything I've seen with her admissions process the real contact of substance is, of course, the coach or ass't coach. I'm sure the school sent her material but it was basic marketing stuff. Coach handled everything and pretty much all communication with Admissions. Other than send in her app (required by 8/31 for the athletes) she really hasn't worked with Admissions or her admissions rep. much at all. This is a D1 school so things might be different elsewhere, of course. In any case, it's the coach's interest that really matters. If your son has competitive stats then he has a definite shot given the hook.

Edit to add: Almost forgot - that Ivy sent my kid more stuff than did UChicago! Go figure . . .
    Yes, SS is shortstop. Have definitely found that athletics is a hook helping in admissions at elite D3 institutions. There are LOTS of great ballplayers out there...not so many that have ACT's in the 30's and a rigorous course load.

• marlowe1marlowe1 Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    edited September 22
    @57special The infield is where the action is. Long ago I was a utility infielder for the Maroons. At third we had a glowering but heavy-hitting Dostoevsky, at short a wide-ranging versatile Max Weber, at second a light-hitting but dependable William James. The DP combination was Weber to James to Aquinas. St. Thomas was our first baseman and boy could he make the stretch. You can see why I never cracked that lineup.
15678911»