Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Does U of Chicago send everyone lots of unsolicited mail or just me?

Replies to: Does U of Chicago send everyone lots of unsolicited mail or just me?

• ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    That handful of applicants are on the football or basketball teams - I guarantee it.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,260 Senior Member
    Maybe, but that isn't the point, the point is that they advertise that the bottom is pretty low which encourages regular students to apply that really have no shot.
  • ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    Perhaps. All top schools get tons of applications from students that really have no shot. Chicago is the only one that gets criticized for it.
    I would agree with that, and UChicago is taking the hits because of its evolving admissions policies over the last few years. The other top schools, like you said, have been doing this for a long time.
    edited March 27
    It would be nice if they would publish the stats for their recruited athletes, I bet that would cause a lot of wailing and outcry over the unfairness of admissions to top schools. Of course that would never happen as it's a no win situation for the school.
  • ChrchillChrchill Registered User Posts: 865 Member
    The key change that more than halved UChicago's admissions rate was its acceptance of the common application. Same for many other schools.
  • denydenzigdenydenzig Registered User Posts: 278 Junior Member
    There may also be another phenomenon going on here. When a Harvard or Stanford rejects an applicant, the applicant is more likely to just suck it up, but there is a lot of resentment generated when a school like Chicago or Duke or NU reject an applicant. There is a "How dare you reject mois" outrage that is generated. These schools apparently don't have the permission to just reject 90%+ of their applicants. If they do, they must be doing something shady. Maybe it is yield protection, Maybe it is bait and switch. Maybe it is just "dirty application grubbing" etc etc.

There must be a conspiracy theory, because these Universities just don't have the brand permission to be "Hoity toity" in the minds of most applicants :-)

Part of that is due to the length of time they have been rejecting applicants. People have gotten use to the HYPS schools having low acceptance rates. Really these rates are coming down for UChicago, Columbia, Brown, and a few others is because more students are applying to these schools plus the HYPS and MIT/Caltech. Albeit UChicago has seen this drop much more dramatically than any other institution.
  • FStratfordFStratford Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    @denydenzig ha ha ha on "How dare you reject mois"
  • CariñoCariño Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    Honestly, marketing is very important. My daughter is a super strong student (ACT=35; 12 AP's with 5's; and many awards), and she fell in love with UChicago after visiting and receiving all that information, people there (Jim Nondorf is amazing!) are incredible, enthusiastic, and "down to earth". Stanford, for example, never got in touch with her (that was the only one that sent her the brochure without a letter!!!!!) and she did not want to apply there. Marketing is important. She was accepted in 6 top schools already (UChicago of course), and waiting for few more...tomorrow...
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 262 Junior Member
    edited April 29
    Got the T shirt today, and S1 thinks it looks fab. Eerie thing is that it fits perfectly. S1 is a bright kid, but with a 32 ACT and 3.6 GPA( albeit with a very demanding course load ) is unlikely to make it into U of C, unless their baseball team has some pull( VG HS player), which I have heard is uncommon.

Will S1 apply, even though he knows chances are somewhere between slim and none( even though uncle is a prof there and the baseball team could REALLY use some help)? You betcha!

Just keep sending T shirts for the rest of the fam. I'll take an XL, wife an ES, please!

@Cariño my DD story is very similar, zero interest in anything west coast; UChicago went the extra mile and it paid off for them and her.
  • sbballersbballer Registered User Posts: 419 Member
    hey marketing works... and U of Chicago is the best in the business.

I'm sure they are doing advanced analytics on open rates, application rates etc. I suspect that their campaigns are very data driven and they wouldn't be sending that many if it didn't give them a positive ROI.

I give them props.
  • melvin123melvin123 Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    Wait, the university is actually mailing some HS Juniors Tshirts?
    Normally rising seniors