Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Three people applied to UofC at my school...

fakesnake00fakesnake00 Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2004 in University of Chicago
Do you think that will affect my chances?

I'm freaking out during the last few days.
Post edited by fakesnake00 on

Replies to: Three people applied to UofC at my school...

• chicagonobelchicagonobel Posts: 438Registered User Member
    haha...i am the first one EVER to apply to Chicago from my school (in the last 4 years anyway)
  • fakesnake00fakesnake00 Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
    3 years ago (I think it was 3), two people applied and both got accepted, they had very different GPAs...

maybe it'll be three this year... :)
  • bohemianrhapsodybohemianrhapsody Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    I've never heard of anyone from my school applying to the UofC (before me, that is). Chicago is a long way off from New Jersey...
  • fakesnake00fakesnake00 Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
    <- New Jersey :o
  • BrinestormBrinestorm Posts: 536Registered User Member
    My state is fornicating with New Jersey.
  • patchespatches Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    Actually, I've heard something about that. Does anybody know for certain if having multiple people apply from the same school affects their decision? 'Cause I know that about 5 applied from my school, all of whom I'd consider friends.
  • collegeconfusioncollegeconfusion Posts: 318Registered User Junior Member
    I don't think it would affect your chances at all unless you guys had the exact same recs or something, like when the teacher uses the same letter with a different name. That really torks my torker, but anyway it won't be a problem at uchi they don't try to "build" a class so it shouldn't matter
    please note that I'm no expert, but my school is a standard medium sized public and 2 girls got accepted ed at dartmouth this year
  • qwert271qwert271 Posts: 217Registered User Junior Member
    all highly selective colleges try to build a class. what other objectives do you think they try to fulfill if not this one? i dont see how you could think that they dont try to build a class.
  • Alex3187Alex3187 Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    well from my school last year, two people applied one got accepted the other didnt. Both had 34 ACT and similar SAT. one was really involved in acting while the other was mainly science. both were superior writers. i wonder why one of them got rejected...
  • class_of_08class_of_08 Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    From my school four people applied last year...three of us were accepted, one was rejected. Out of the three that were accepted, two of us went to UofC, and one went to Princeton, and the one who was rejected went to UofMinnesota. I don't think the number of applicants from your school should have a big impact on your chances of getting in.
  • bettinabettina Posts: 1,236Registered User Senior Member
    In an article about Chicago admissions the Dean said they do not try to build a class. They just try to find the best. Probably this is where collegeconfusion got this odd idea. this is an interesting article you might want to read. It's posted here somewhere.