Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

To The Deferred: Advice!

PurpleYuanPurpleYuan Posts: 27Registered User New Member
edited December 2011 in University of Chicago
I am only one of those who were deferred. I urge all of us who were deferred to not give up hope: there is still a chance! Here's some advice from CC:

Deferred Early Decision Applicant Asks for Advice - Ask The Dean

And if you have any more advice you'd like to give, please post it here. This is a support forum for the deferred.
Post edited by PurpleYuan on

Replies to: To The Deferred: Advice!

• GatitaZGatitaZ Posts: 296Registered User Junior Member
    Thank you!I'm reading it!
  • katydonekatydone Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    Thank you PurpleYuan, the article was helpful:) let's all get in RD ok?
  • motion12345motion12345 Posts: 1,584Registered User Senior Member
    I've lost all hope and, quite frankly, some people on here didn't deserve to be accepted and some didn't deserve to be deferred/rejected. Just think of it as UChicago's loss and just remember, they only deferred/rejected a bunch of papers, not you.
    aww motion12345, don't lose hope:( listen to some Muse maybe and have a snack. lol after some tears, I ate a large amount of pretzels. now my jaw hurts hah
  • wejwej Posts: 467Registered User Member
    I don't know what the committee was thinking. I have no chance in the Regular Decision round. Just no chance at all, not with a 54% increase in early applications. I don't even want to imagine what kind of boost the university will see this spring.

This is depressing because I feel as if I should try, though the disappointment will be even more immense when, after trying, I am not accepted.
  • JosmurJosmur Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
    I've practically given up as well.

This deferral is really just stringing the disappointment out another 4 months.
  • wejwej Posts: 467Registered User Member
    It is indeed.

And, after a 54% increase in applications, I think UChicago will end up being more hurt than helped. I will not be surprised if the yield from the EA round is smaller than they might expect, considering so, so many students applied and were accepted at other schools ED.

The financial aid package question will be key.
  • collage0funcollage0fun Posts: 32Registered User Junior Member
    I'm so incredibly sad right now...I don't think I have ever been this sad in my life. In fact, the horrible memory of opening that letter will never be removed from my sad little brain. BOTH of my friends made it in today...and I'm sure of it...they couldn't stop gloating about it on their Facebooks... :( Sometimes, I wish I had no friends, no friends at all. Whatever...i should probably be congratulating them or something.
    I'm sad too collage0fun :( one of my friends got in, and as happy as I am for him, I am also jealous of his acceptance.
    my heart hurts!
  • MendiMendi Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    Hey guys,
    I know how much this sucks, as I was in your shoes this time last year. The thing that is absolutely key to remember is this: DO NOT GIVE UP. That was one of the biggest mistakes I made last year when I was deferred; I moved on and focused on my other RD schools. Sure, I sent in an additional letter of interest, but I never wholeheartedly pursued it. Giving up is the worst thing you could do at this point. If this is the school you are certain you belong at, tell the adcom that. Come the RD round, I was waitlisted, which believe me, sucks more than being deferred. Only after being waitlisted did I really begin to contact admissions and really push to get myself in- the realization that it was now or never caused me to contact admissions every opportunity I got, without worrying whether or not I was annoying them. If you have updates, send them in. If you got new scores, send them in. They're about to get a massive amount of more applications; don't let yourself slip through the cracks. My biggest regret is that I essentially gave up after being deferred, so don't do it. I was one of those unfortunate souls who applied in November and didn't get in until June, but once you're in, it doesn't matter whether your friend got in EA and you were on the waitlist. I'm here and I'm thriving. So keep your chin up, and make sure the admissions department knows just how much you want to go here. :)
    Thank you ,Mendi ,for your tips and encouragement!I really should get my hands on "bugging" the ao's to sell myself even better than in EA...hopefully I got a higher CR score in December.><

But somehow...I still feel down,although I'd been kept telling myself that a deferral is in the picture...awww
    thanks for the hope Mendi
    same here GatitaZ, I keep trying to reason with myself that at least I wasn't rejected but I still feel pretty horrible about everything:(
    we'll just have to wait til April,
    hang in there everyone!
    katydone: yeah><we need a bit patience...omg..Hang in there!!!Hope we all get in in RD!!!
  • alfassaalfassa Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    we'll all come out stronger people by this experience. Don't slip (I'm just saying this but I feel like a pile of doodoo)
  • ParliamentParliament Posts: 212Registered User Junior Member
    deferred =/= rejected!!!