Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UCONN Honors Program Questions

argirlargirl Posts: 6Registered User New Member
edited January 2012 in University of Connecticut
Hey guys so I was wondering how hard it is to get into the honor's program at UCONN. What is the average SAT score for people admitted into the program? Class rank?
Post edited by argirl on

Replies to: UCONN Honors Program Questions

• ThePhilosopherThePhilosopher Posts: 1,661Registered User Senior Member
    It depends on a lot of things. 1. Your residency 2. SAT scores 3. Class Rank 4. URM status. What are your 1 and 4, and then 2 and 3 can be answered.
  • argirlargirl Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    well I'm an instate student, my superscored SAT score is 1400/2050, my class rank is either top 5% or 10% depending how much I dropped after junior year (oops :/), and I'm not exactly sure what URM stands for (I'm new to this) but if it has to do with race then I'm Indian so I guess that would make me aisan
    *sorry I meant to say I live in Connecticut not that I already go to UCONN
    URM stands for an underrepresented minority, though you do not qualify as one. I would say the only thing preventing you entry into the honors program would be your class rank. And if for some reason you were not admitted to the program for your freshman year, you could apply for admittance after your freshman year for your remaining years.
    thank you! you really helped :]
  • GoldShadowGoldShadow Posts: 6,160Registered User Senior Member
    How is the class rank a disadvantage? Top 5-10% is more than good enough for honors, especially for an in-stater.
  • DebrunsDebruns Posts: 2,665Registered User Senior Member
    We were told yesterday on tour, that 1400 is usually the starting point (although someone slightly lower might get in) and usually top 5%, but nothing is set in stone. We were also told to apply early for the best shot at Honors or scholarships, he emphasized EA a lot.
    Yes, EA helps a lot. In addition, since there are a lot more people applying to the honors program with good stats, 10% may not be good enough now. There are applicants that do not get offered an honors spot with t-10%.
  • GoldShadowGoldShadow Posts: 6,160Registered User Senior Member
    I guess they've tightened up their requirements compared to a few years ago, then.
  • DebrunsDebruns Posts: 2,665Registered User Senior Member
    I think it's also the economy to some degree, a lot of students get very good scholarships that would qualify for the honors program and will go to UConn when "maybe" a few years ago, they wouldn't. It's also gaining more respect every year in various departments.
    So do you think that if I apply early to uconn that i'll have a better shot at getting into the honors program? Slso when I went to visit uconn I spoke to someone in admissions and she told me the average student admitted into the honors program has above a 3.5 gpa, in the top 11%, and has a sat score of around 1380.
    Yes. And what she told you was min, unless there are special circumstances which was what I asked you about.
  • sic_infitsic_infit Posts: 564Registered User Member
    what's the minimum act then?
    I believe around a 30, but I am not sure about that.
  • SHSurpriseSHSurprise Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    Hi Philosopher, To apply after freshman year, what will be a typical GPA so student can be considered? Thanks.