Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can I skip Beginning Chinese 1?

GatorGurl2GatorGurl2 Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2012 in University of Florida
So I want to take Beginning Chinese 2 for Summer B. The pre-req is Beginning Chinese 1, which is offered Summer A. Problem: I'm starting as a freshman in Summer B.

The earliest Chinese placement test would be the first week of the Fall semester...I was wondering if there was any way to skip Beginning Chinese 1 and be enrolled into the Chinese 2 class?

I was born and raised here in the US, but I speak fluent Mandarin with my parents who emigrated from Taiwan. I can read and write basic characters...but I believe that I know enough to be able to handle Beginning Chinese 2.
Post edited by GatorGurl2 on

Replies to: Can I skip Beginning Chinese 1?

• julius305julius305 Posts: 204Registered User Junior Member
    I would email one of the Chinese language professors and explain your situation. If they are willing they may be able to set up a in person meeting (if you can be in Gainesville before classes start) and have a conversation in Chinese with you. If they deem you proficient enough to start Chinese 2 they will place you in it. I would suggest when you email them you tell them you are willing to prove proficiency. If not you can just start the language in the spring which many people do who place out of a level.
  • GatorGurl2GatorGurl2 Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks, julius. :)