Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best Mode of Transportation Around Campus

greekyoghurtgreekyoghurt Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2008 in University of Florida
What is the best mode of transportation around campus? Like skateboards, mopeds, walking, bicycles, motor scooters, etc.

Are there a lot of bike racks, like near classrooms & dining halls & residence halls?
Post edited by greekyoghurt on

Replies to: Best Mode of Transportation Around Campus

• dvm258dvm258 Posts: 1,062Registered User Senior Member
    From my visit there last year, it seemed like bicycles are the mode of choice. There is even a bike repair center by the student union. Bike racks were also everywhere.
  • ASMAJASMAJ Posts: 2,097Registered User Senior Member
    I prefer to walk. On occasion I will take the bus. I have seen all the modes you have listed including the segway.
    To answer you question, from most to least..... 1. walk/take the bus 2. bicycle 3. moped 4. skateboard. Yes, there are bike racks by most, if not all buildings.
  • AmandaisaGatorAmandaisaGator Posts: 227Registered User Junior Member
    walking.....
  • greekyoghurtgreekyoghurt Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks! I'm def. brining my bike to Gville, in that case.
  • jaimeastorga2000jaimeastorga2000 Posts: 759Registered User Member
    While on the subject, would an A-Bike be a good idea for getting around? A-bike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Amazon.com: Bicycles - folding bike: Sports & Outdoors

...I do weight 270 lbs, though...
  • danny_125danny_125 Posts: 783Registered User Member
    i bet you doin't recommend bringing your car to campus, right?
  • Quiksilver2007Quiksilver2007 Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    Just a warning about the bikes:
    1. There are usually a lot of people walking around on campus, so sometimes it's hard to navigate unless you're a pretty good bicycle rider.

2. Watch out for getting tickets...you CAN be ticketed while on your bicycle, as strange as it may seem.
  • greekyoghurtgreekyoghurt Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    How can you get ticketed while on your bicycle? What type of infraction are we talking about?
  • ChamilitaryMayneChamilitaryMayne Posts: 781Registered User Member
    Going faster than traffic, listening to headphones while biking, not respecting stop signs or pedestrians, riding without a headlight/tail-light after dark, not using hand signal when making a turn, and probably some other stuff
  • dvm258dvm258 Posts: 1,062Registered User Senior Member
    This is the kind of stuff you never get pulled over for outside a college campus. Lousy government.........
    They will give you a ticket for every minor thing at UF. The dont have real crimes to worry about so they nit pick on the smallest things. Going 23 mph...if they are bored they will stop you.