Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Recieved the SAT Score by Race- Race = 134 SAt points

tomslawskytomslawsky Posts: 1,378Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2008 in University of Florida
The source is the admissions office....now when trying to determine your chances, you can directly compare to your race group in order to have a more accurate guess.

Average SAT Score of Applied (04-06)

Asian Black Hisp White Total
SAT SAT SAT SAT SAT
1262 1103 1167 1239 1216
1262 1093 1186 1253 1229
1234 1075 1174 1234 1208

Average SAT Score of Admitted (04-06)

SAT SAT SAT SAT SAT
1326 1190 1254 1315 1296
1327 1195 1266 1322 1306
1318 1176 1263 1317 1295

Three Year Average admitted SAT Scores by race (04-06):

1324 1187 1261 1318 1299

Three year SAT Range (04-06) of UF Admitted Students by race:

1324(Asian SAT) - 1187(Black SAT) = 137 point spread by race.

Using the normdist function in Excel, I estimate that :

A 1324 is ~ the 93'rd percentile of all SAT Test Takers
An 1187 is ~ the 75'th percentile of all SAT Test takers
Post edited by tomslawsky on

Replies to: Recieved the SAT Score by Race- Race = 134 SAt points

• ABCB7099ABCB7099 Posts: 399Registered User Member
    The SAT is discriminatory!

It should be offered in ebonics!

/puke
  • SSobickSSobick Posts: 2,331Registered User Senior Member
    It's only going to be a matter of time before someone files a lawsuit.

Mark it down.... Although Florida's Judges are pretty Liberal
  • pmrlcommpmrlcomm Posts: 2,235- Senior Member
    I would much rather see a breakdown of scores by the performance of school districts than race. My guess is the white kids in appalachia may not have done any better, on average than the black kids in harlem. I'm sure there are no lack of black kids, going to good schools, that do very well on the test. It's not a race thing as much as it is an education thing. We work our butts off and are so far in debt we can't see over it to keep our kids in a very good school district. There's a reason to do that.
  • xNYerxNYer Posts: 454Registered User Member
    The only solution in raising UF's selectivity is to ONLY allow in 100% Asian students from now on.
    All other races are obviously dragging down UF's prestige.
  • tomslawskytomslawsky Posts: 1,378Registered User Senior Member
    ^^^^^^^
    Purely emotional, sarcastic and racist response.

How about this....assigning each applicant a number and hiding name, gender and race until AFTER the decision for admissions is made. Not only would that be fair, but it would force a conformation to the 14th amendment of the US Constitution.
  • ABCB7099ABCB7099 Posts: 399Registered User Member
    ^^^

In a perfect world...

We can dream, right?
  • gthopefulgthopeful Posts: 1,828Registered User Senior Member
    How about this....assigning each applicant a number and hiding name, gender and race until AFTER the decision for admissions is made. Not only would that be fair, but it would force a conformation to the 14th amendment of the US Constitution.

Universities don't give a crap about affirmative action in undergrad because they're looking to make the most "diverse" student body possible. When students start doing work for the sake of the school in graduate studies, only then do you see this crap disappear because the rep of the university is more on the line.

I can pretty much guarantee every white/asian kid that got rejected from their dream school and had their minority friends get in holds a secret resentment for that race, and that's too bad really.
  • jaimeastorga2000jaimeastorga2000 Posts: 759Registered User Member
    lol, I'm hispanic and I got a 1430.

Anyways, I like tomslawsky's idea, but then I guess people would sneak in their demographic information in their essays.
    I just love how throw around the word "racist" whenever you get into these AA threads.
    Tom, if we are only going to use SAT #'s then my statement is 100% correct.
    "The only solution in raising UF's selectivity is to ONLY allow in 100% Asian students from now on"

Ya, 100% correct, got it.

O, and by the wat, X-NY-er- I have news for you: if you spport ANY system that preferentially admits based on race, then by the definition of racism, you are racist. Period.
  • mom2threemom2three Posts: 810Registered User Member
    I posted this on the parent board a while back. You may or may not agree with the sentiment, but here goes.

After reading threads all over the place about what's fair and not fair in this crazy process, I guess I'm about to get flamed....

I teach high school. I have had students accepted to colleges and universities with much lower stats than their peers. And here's what I've come to believe: From those to whom much is given, much is expected. My own kids were born into a family of college-educated professionals. They were blessed with brains. They were blessed with parents who cared about their education and who could spend time and money on extra-curriculars. They were blessed with an extended family who also prizes education. They were able to cherry-pick our public school system, moving from gifted classes to magnet schools, etc. (Their parents also knew to look for these programs, to apply on time, dot the i's and cross the t's, etc.)

So. If a kid from a single-parent home, living in poverty, overcomes the negative factors in his life and graduates with a solid B average and a decent SAT score, and is admitted to a university that did not accept my child with the A+ average and stellar scores, I'm OK with that. Because I KNOW that kid, and I KNOW what that solid B average reflects.

Another thing. My kids are going to end up just fine, wherever they attend college (note the "college is a given" attitude that they have grown up with.) They'll be able to pursue a career they find rewarding, provide for their families, and give back to the community (that's what I want for ALL my kids - my own AND my students). There are lots of kids out there who won't have the chances that my kids do without some extra help. Many of them have sat in my classroom. And I hope and pray they get the help they need to reach their potential.

My feelings on this have evolved a lot over the years. I don't expect everyone to agree, but there it is.
    Tom, Tom, Tom;

This from Marrian- Webster:

Main Entry: rac·ism
    Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1933
    1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
    2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I don't want to be cavalierly calling anyone a racist here, but what was your point of listing that Black's SAT's are 137 points lower than Asian's?
    Sounds like you meet the definition of #1 above.

Not that it should matter but I am not black.

Anyhow my contention is that the main difference in the SAT numbers is the importance that UF gives to athletics.
    THe NCAA qualifying score to play Div. 1 sports is an 820 if you have a 2.5 GPA.

Since the admit rates betweens blacks and asians is about the same at 8%
    this would translate into approximately 512 total black and 512 total asian admits for an accepted class of 6,400.

Using your numbers the average black SAT is 1187 of which the NCAA (and I would imagine UF ) accepts an 820.
    I would guess the numbers for most athletes from ALL RACES is probably closer to the 820 to maintain a nationally competiive sports program.

Just looking thru the UF team photos I see HUNDREDS of black athletes. I would venture to guess that there are but a handfull of asian athletes at UF.

So it comes down to this:
    Since the accepted classes are about the same for both races, does the disproportionate amount of black athletes as compared to asian athletes skew the SAT numbers?
    At such low acceptance (512) numbers I believe it does. There may be a small gap in comparing non-athletes but its probably not the 137 points you are trying to sensationalize in your post.

Sounds like your real problem may be with the "black athlete" getting into UF.
    Then again I would think that the majority of UF students and alumni that follow these teams have absolutely no problem with it.

Awaiting your anti-athlete rant.
    Mom,
    When posters like Tom start throwing out numbers no sentiment will change their minds.
    It's all about the SAT. Nothing else matters.
    He actually has a problem with 512 black freshmen being admitted out of a class of 6,400.
    You can only throw numbers back at them.
    XNYer,
    Nice try, but wrong answer. You can spin it any way you want. Race gives an advantage and that is prohibited by the 14th amendment of the constitution. You don't like it, then we need to repeal the amendment. That is FACT, buddy. You can't explain the discrepancy between Asians and Hispanics, Hispanics and whites or whited and Asians with athletics. It is a mathematical trend. The fact is, by the definition #2, you are being racist by endorsing a policy that discriminates based on race. All i want is fairness with public tax payer money. Nice try though.

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
    Mom,
    They should teach a class on the constitution where you work and mandate all students take it. It doesn't matter how you justify the action personally, its unfair and illegal. Just because you embrace the practice doesn't mean you have the right to force other people to embrace it. If you feel strongly about your kids giving up a spot for less qualified student, then that is noble and you should have the right to do it. What you shouldn't do is endorse a policy where someone who doesn't want their kids college slot going to a less qualified candidate is FORCED to do so. There is a huge distinction here. Just as much as you have the right as a parent to sacrifice admissions to an URM, the next parent has the right NOT to do so.