Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to start the appeal letter?

satwizard1satwizard1 Posts: 59- Junior Member
edited March 2009 in University of Florida
How do you start an appelas letter? Right now I have:
"To whom it may concern,
this letter is written to give my app another chance for review."

And also importantly, should you say you centered your life over the past year to get into a school? Or is that excessive? What's a more lighthearted way to say it? But make known that if there was a reason to revolve your life around getting into a school, this would be the most acceptable reason, if there is one.
Post edited by satwizard1 on

Replies to: How to start the appeal letter?

• gthopefulgthopeful Posts: 1,828Registered User Senior Member
    And also importantly, should you say you centered your life over the past year to get into a school? Or is that excessive? What's a more lighthearted way to say it?

I don't think a statement like this would give you any points with the committee. What you need to do is demonstrate clearly why you are more qualified now than when you first submitted your application. What happened in the last 3 or 4 months that is meritorious? If nothing, I don't think you should bother appealing the decision.
  • keezykeezy Posts: 172Registered User Junior Member
    I'm not sure what's the best way to start it however, for your second question, unless your application had some missing material/or errors, or if you truly believe they should admit you because you have overcome a lot during your high school career, and you want to demostrate you are a good canidate to admit. Then you should, otherwise the officers will tell you that it will be a waste of time because, only few will be granted admission, so they really want to see something extraordinary the second time around.
  • FloridaKiddFloridaKidd Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    "You clearly made a mistake at first observation of my application.."
  • orchid_2010orchid_2010 Posts: 221Registered User Junior Member
    FloridaKid, that was very funny. :-)

Seriously, begin with an explanation of what circumstances make your appeal unique. What new information are you sending them? Carefully describe any extenuating circumstances that make your appeal particularly compelling.

It is okay to say that UF is your first choice school, and that if they reconsider and admit you, you will 100% promise to attend, but do not carry on about how much time you have dedicated to this -- you are right, it would be excessive.

This is about your qualifications for admission. Be sincere, be concise, be specific. Talk to your guidance counselor before you complete the appeal -- they are great sources of advice.

Good luck.