Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

International UGA Applicant

giavivgiaviv Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2010 in University of Georgia
Hey,

I'm from Israel, almost 21 and interested in applying to UGA.
What do you think are my chances to get in / how well I'd fit in there?

I graduated high school in 2008. My overall unweighed high school GPA is 3.7, however I took the most advanced science courses and received A's on them. I put a lot of effort into my studies my last two years in high school and have very high grades in those years. I took two BA level courses at a university here when I was 17 and received 89 and 90 (out of a 100). Served in the army here in Israel in an elite unit and lead a project that received the Israel Defense Prize. I have a lot of leadership experience, within and without the army.*
I took the SAT on Sunday and hoping for somewhere between 2000-2150 (M:720, CR:620, W:660 at worst - but I really don’t know). I'm taking SAT II in January in math 2 and chemistry. My TOEFL is 112 (30 on the reading there).
Work Experience:
Software developer from the age of 16 to 18. Lead a year-long high grossing project when I was 17.
During and alongside the army, worked as a head of technology for a start up in the mobile phones field.
Currently a senior software developer at a hitech company.
Currently working as freelance security expert (malware research, reverse engineering and so forth)
Also involved in a start up with a few Harvard BS students.
ECS
Spent 4 months in the states after high school and obtained a private pilots license*
Volunteered at Pilots for Charity to fly children with long term diseases.
Volunteered at El-Al Israel Airlines and helped them built their pilots training program.
Been playing guitar for 5 years, school performances and so forth.
Tennis– played for 5 years and coached kids.
Volunteered at the Israeli civil guard and as an anti drugs spokesperson.
Traveled extensively around the world, for business and for pleasure.*

We don’t have honors / AP here in Israel, however I received a 787 out of 800 (99th percentile) on the Israeli SAT equivalent.

My writing is good and I think I have a lot to say about myself – I am a high achiever and I have a lot of interests, an interesting perspective and can offer a great deal of diversity. I get along with everybody, am very sociable, and have very good recommendations (from teachers, army, and employers). I also don't require financial aid - however I wanted to ask I'd there is any chance for me to receive a scholarship?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Post edited by giaviv on

Replies to: International UGA Applicant

• jablalfjablalf Posts: 591Registered User Member
    however I wanted to ask I'd there is any chance for me to receive a scholarship?
    I think so. Good GPA, an SAT score above 2100, and your record of leadership would make you a strong candidate for Charter or Presidential, to name a few scholarhips. If you haven't seen this link, you might want to take a look - it will give you some idea of what scholarships UGA offers and what qualities/achievements they are looking for in applicants. If you can raise your SAT to the 2200 level or above, I think it might also be worth your time to apply for Foundation Fellowship.

P.S. Are you planning to apply EA or RD? In your case, I think RD might actually be a better choice because the RD essays will give you more opportunities to describe your background and experiences.
  • giavivgiaviv Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    RD - what do you think my admission chances are if applying RD?