Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UIUC fall 2011 placement tests

giga492giga492 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
Has anyone completed the fall 2011 placement tests yet? If so, how were they? I am an engineering major and not 100% sure which ones I have to take. Any help is appreciated.
Post edited by giga492 on

Replies to: UIUC fall 2011 placement tests

• drusbadrusba Posts: 7,852Registered User Senior Member
    Engineering freshman must take Math (aleks), chemistry and physics. You also need to take a language test unless you have at least the third year of high school language.

Others can tell you about the tests but be aware the ALEKs math test can be taken as many times as you want.
  • aklauss17aklauss17 Posts: 198Registered User Junior Member
    I took the ALEKS math test and the Spanish Placement test. The ALEKS test was not bad at all, everything that was on the test was covered in the Pre-Calculus class senior year. While you have to go through a tutorial on how to use the ALEKS system, it's not that bad. The Spanish test was also fairly easy. If you have taken 4 years of Spanish like I have, you should have no problem with it.
  • roderickroderick Posts: 1,427Registered User Senior Member
    If you have taken 4 years of Spanish like I have,

If one has 4 yrs of spanish, why take the placement test?

another question: how does the placement test interact with AP tests? Let's say you get a 4/5 in physics, which I believe is enough for some kind of credit at UIUC, but , for some reason - I dunno maybe you were sick or whatever - you have a placement test score in physics that says to take physics.

In this case, can you still get credit for the AP physics result?
  • aklauss17aklauss17 Posts: 198Registered User Junior Member
    I took the Spanish Placement test because I want to continue taking Spanish classes at Illinois so I need to know which class to be placed into. As for the AP credits, I am not sure about that, but I'm sure if you call Admissions at Illinois they would be able to help you.