Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Would This Help?

JackDJackD Posts: 114Registered User Junior Member
I know that it is damn near impossiable to get into UIUC but would the fact that i would try to transfer from the University of Illinois at Chicago, help my chances to get into UIC at all?
Post edited by JackD on

Replies to: Would This Help?

• krbarrett77krbarrett77 Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    I'm assuming what you meant to write was UIC to UIUC. If you look here:

http://www.pb.uillinois.edu/Documents/transferchars/2004/UIUC_tchar_2004.pdf

and go to the "public university to uiuc" page, you'll see that 19 students were taken from UIC in 2004, the most out of any of the in-state public universities (most of which had 0-8 or so). So it does appear they take more students from UIC than others, but maybe UIC students just submit more applications than anyone else. I have read somewhere on the UIUC website that technically they don't give UIC or UIS students preference though. (I'll try to find the link).

You have to ask yourself, assuming you are at a community college (?), is it really worth transferring to UIC to transfer to UIUC? Would your chances be THAT different? I still think your best shot would be raising your GPA (which might be tougher to do at UIC).

Are you aiming for a spring transfer then, or are you waiting another year? Good Luck!
  • krbarrett77krbarrett77 Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    ok, I found the link. Right from their website it says, word for word:

"All admission requirements are the same as those for transfer students from other institutions. However, an applicant to the Urbana-Champaign campus is encouraged to go to the Chicago or Springfield Office of Admissions and Records, where copies of official credentials will be enclosed with the application and where current enrollment can be verified to permit a waiver of the application fee."

So i guess that doesn't necessarily eliminate the possibility that you would have a better chance from UIC. The wording was different than i remember it. With this not saying they dont give preference, by that "transfer characteristics" link i sent you earlier, it actually appears they might.