Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Defer Freshmen admission?

rage_fanrage_fan Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
Hey, UIUC has a great Engineering dept, I love it and would love to go there. However the cost ($40,000) is huge and excessive, If i did it I would have to give myself $15,000 in debts per year.

So my question is, can I goto a local school such as UC Davis or Santa Barbara and complete my intro engineering classes and transfer in my Junior year.

Or am I admitted as a freshmen and only a freshmen, meaning I'd have to reapply as a transfer admitee in '08.

Also, does anyone have any good advice to establish residency, the school looks fantastic I just can't afford that much in debt.

Thanks.
Post edited by rage_fan on

Replies to: Defer Freshmen admission?

• krbarrett77krbarrett77 Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    I'm almost positive that you would need to reapply. I'll keep my eye out for evidence of this when i'm searching through stuff next time, but i really dont think an admit covers eternity. It wouldnt make sense to admit a student to engineering, let them do whatever they please for 2 years, and then be forced to take them in two years after their initial admission.The situation MIGHT be different if you once enrolled and completed credits at UIUC, but that might even be a stretch.

I'm thinkin you're gonna need to re-apply as a transfer student in the semester that you intend to earn 60 credits. Which means keeping your grades up, taking all the pre-reqs etc, and making sure all your 60 credits will transfer, California does not yet have CAS (course applicability system) for transfer students, so you would need to closely work with counselors from both schools to determine the appropriate coursework (your micro economics will not always transfer to their micro economics, etc.) if it is your intent to transfer.