Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Essay Question

smartie10smartie10 Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
Hmm, for the first essay "tell us more about yourself, describing interests and accomplishments which are not indicated elsewhere on this application " what exactly does that mean? what kind of accomplishments are they looking for?
Post edited by smartie10 on

Replies to: Essay Question

• IheartpacmanIheartpacman Posts: 242Registered User Junior Member
    Okay, i'm writing this one too-
    And i know that you're supposed to load this full of academic and ec accomplishes you have met...but i took it on a more personal note.
    I honestly don't know; My intent is to be a Creative Writing major(in UIUC's case, and English major) and so i do tend to be a bit on the off-side with my writing...and other, more artsy, schools that i'm applying to LIKE the off essays(i made on of my essays into a poem#_#)
    But i'm not too sure about U of I...

...Ach. I don't think i helped you much at all. Sorry.
    Just; from what i'm doing, just write about yourself. Anyone with conflicting viewpoints- please, share. And straighten us both out.
  • bja1288bja1288 Posts: 226Registered User Junior Member
    I was wondering the exact same thing - if we listed 5-10 other activities what can we write in our essay unless we hava laundry list of other things we couldnt fit??
  • GShine_1989GShine_1989 Posts: 635Registered User Member
    This older description of the essay (from 2004) might help:

"Write about yourself while thinking about values important to the university -- academic excellence and intellectual adventure, diversity, and service to the community."

So, as Iheartpacman said, write about yourself. Something related to EC's will work, but I would guess just talking about the "real you" might also work. If you're going with EC route, remember that it should be a real essay and not a list in paragraph format. And if you're going with the other route, don't make it completely irrelevant to the four things mentioned above.
  • MKDaMan1818MKDaMan1818 Posts: 218Registered User Junior Member
    Could we write about like one experience that highlighted many key intangible qualities about ourselves?
    I plan on majoring in writing, so i talked about that...but then i talked about how friends always go to me as like...the psych counselor/go-to person(i think in the essay icalled myself a 'human security blanket')...but it's really jumpy...like, it only highlights those two parts of myself and i didn't connect them... i need to re-do that.

I know my brother did a thing with nicknames he's gone through and how he was a different person under each one... but it was poorly written, and he didn't get in. But i saw that same idea in an example essay in the Chicago Tribune. So mayhaps ...that? How you've changed, or something?

I think that, sicne it's a personal essay, they aren't expecting like... a certain format from everyone. Since each person's got their own personality. I could be wrong, of course.
  • edwinksledwinksl Posts: 409Registered User Member
    I concentrated a lot more on my interests rather the accomplishments for my personal essay because I wanted to add a personal touch to it. My honest opinion is that you can always elaborate on your accomplishments in the professional essay by linking them to your chosen major.
  • bja1288bja1288 Posts: 226Registered User Junior Member
    I finished mine if ne1 wants to pm me to see it
    Same here. Mine's (roughly) done, if anyone wants to read it.~
  • tennisfan88tennisfan88 Posts: 757Registered User Member
    I'll read them if you guys send them to me.
  • MKDaMan1818MKDaMan1818 Posts: 218Registered User Junior Member
    Can you guys send urs to me? Thanks!
  • LandonLandon Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    For the second essay what are you guys talking about?

"tell us more about your professional and intellectual aspirations "

The only way I can think of how to answer that would be very vague as I just want to go where my major leads me (a job in the EE field, hopefully ;) ). I'm not exactly sure what they're asking for, could anyone clarify?
  • tennisfan88tennisfan88 Posts: 757Registered User Member
    like where do you see yourself in 10 years. what company. do you plan to get a master's? etc. etc.
    I talked about how i've always loved writing, and what i've done to act on that love, and where i hoped it would go in the future.
    We're reading each other's in English, and of the two U of I's i've read; it was pretty much the same.... My friend going into architecture talked about playing simcity and visiting frank lloyd wright houses on field trips, then moving on to taking a class, and what she hopes of doing with it...
    Mine follows almost the exact format.
    I think that...talk about what you do in your interest, and how it will benefit the school, and how the school will help you along.
  • GShine_1989GShine_1989 Posts: 635Registered User Member
    I talked about my reasons for choosing electrical engineering, my plans after completing my Bachelor's, and what I hope to get out of a career in engineering.