Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Any chance of becoming an investment banker from UIUC?

tennismark123tennismark123 Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
What do you guys think?

I know the accounting program is really good, and lots of companies recruit for accounting students.

Do any companies such as GS or Lazard recruit heavily at UIUC?

Thanks....
Post edited by tennismark123 on

Replies to: Any chance of becoming an investment banker from UIUC?

• tennisfan88tennisfan88 Posts: 757Registered User Member
    yes quite a few do and you have to be heavily qualified to catch their attention.
  • tennismark123tennismark123 Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    I'm guessing that means you have to have a high G.P.A and a good number of internships to get a job offer from them....
  • taffytaffy Posts: 2,356- Senior Member
    among other things.
  • UIUC-ConsultantUIUC-Consultant Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    I interviewed with a few investment banks at UIUC (Goldman, Bear, Citi etc). The process is not formulaic but here's what I feel banks looked for:

The FIRM - Investment Banking Workshops: Gain a leadership role in this org, deliver presentations, hone your skills

Illinois Business Consulting - Nation's largest student run consulting firm, you get real business experience in conjunction with your studies

Major in Accountancy or Finance, or better yet - both

GPA - make sure it is above a 3.5, better yet 3.7+

Internships - Target investment banking, consulting/advisory, financial services, corporate finance at competitive places

Network throughout your time there, use forums, alumni databases, etc.