Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

KU Scholarship Halls

Lucia92Lucia92 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited February 2011 in University of Kansas
Hello! I am applying to the Scholarship Halls at KU, and I was wondering what the perception of these halls were on campus. An acquaintance I have that lives in the dorms says that people who live in the Scholarship Halls are losers, but I find that rather mean-spirited...
Post edited by Lucia92 on

Replies to: KU Scholarship Halls

• XtrasparklesplzXtrasparklesplz Posts: 90Registered User Junior Member
    If your acquaintance really believes that, I would just make sure that they're not jealous of all the things the schol halls have to offer (kidding!!!) But I've spent over a semester in the dorms, and I don't really like it. There's less of a community atmosphere, and I barely know half the people who live on the same floor as me (about 50 people, same size as a single schol hall) A few of my closest friends are in the scholarship halls here, and they love it, so I've applied, hopefully I get in...?

The scholarship hall system is similar to the traditional Greek system in that there are a lot of social events and an admissions system. But I'd rather think of it as a Greek system for people who care more about academics (not that Greeks don't like academics, just... well....) The people in the schol halls are quirky, I will give your acquaintance that. But, who isn't quirky? They're not losers, but in fact very social.

Consider that to be admitted to a scholarship hall you have to write essays and submit references. Does that attract the run-of-the-mill student who would rather just live in McCollum simply because it's cheap? Students who are interested in schol halls are not only interested in saving money, but living in a place where you have more of an investment in where you live (by doing chores) and where your community is a lot more close-knit than any traditional dorm I have seen. Instead of having a fancier dorm room, why not trade for a less fancy, but still quite nice scholarship hall, filled with people who actually care about the things you care about?

Example Situation (watched this first hand):
    "Hi, I'm Jess (not real name)"
    "Hi, I'm Jen! I live in [schol hall]"
    "You too? Cool! I live in [schol hall]"
    "Awesome! Do you know..." and continues on into a conversation about their mutual friends all in the scholarship hall system.