Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UF vs. UM

UF2013hopefulUF2013hopeful Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
What are the major differences? I'm talking about more of the college experience and not academically...
Post edited by UF2013hopeful on

Replies to: UF vs. UM

• schindlr88schindlr88 Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
    isn't Um much smaller. It seems like you're set on uf so I won't really try to convince you. I believe um is closer to the beach also.
  • UF2013hopefulUF2013hopeful Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    im not set....i just want to know what everyone thinks hahah you can try to convice me
  • SSobickSSobick Posts: 2,331Registered User Senior Member
    I find it funny that the "U" is diverting almost all resources to the Undergraduate Program. Meanwhile the UM Business and Law Schools are tanking in the overall rankings. Besides the Miller School of Medicine they do not have a single descent Graduate Program (BTW: UF Medicine is ranked higher, and is harder to be admitted to).

The only reason they shot up the rankings is because they had a very successful Capital Campaign a few years back. But the fact of the matter is that UF's latest Capital Campaign will be even more successful than what was ever seen at Miami.

"Sun Tan U" can brag about their hearty curriculum all they want, but it still does not change the fact that UF is better for Engineering, Pre-Law, Business, Education, Pre-Med, etc...
  • hawaiiboy15hawaiiboy15 Posts: 935Registered User Member
    Jeez, the Florida homers are almost as bad as the Michigan homers
  • LilyMoonLilyMoon Posts: 1,715Registered User Senior Member
    UF is going to be mostly Florida residents while UM will have many more students from all over the country and the world. It's probable that the students that go to UF are more budget conscious since it is a state school vs. a private school. However, you will find a population at UM that are really bright and got great scholarship money. UM does have nearby beaches where many students relax on weekends and South Beach and Coconut Grove are popular weekend party destinations. I would imagine that UF's weekend partying takes place more on campus. Both schools are very spirited and sports oriented. Frats and Soroities are really big at UF. The size of UF makes for a very different experience. I have heard that it's hard to get individual attention and you tend to feel more like a number. UM classes will be smaller and advising will be easier. You will get the classes you need at UM, at UF it will be harder to do so.
  • researchmavenresearchmaven Posts: 872Registered User Member
    Due to the poor economy UF is being hurt by budget deficits. Classes will grow even larger and it will be harder to get required courses when needed and harder to graduate within 4 years.
  • UF2013hopefulUF2013hopeful Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    I'm talking more about the party scene and school spirit?? what about that? and overall happiness
    "Due to the poor economy UF is being hurt by budget deficits. Classes will grow even larger and it will be harder to get required courses when needed and harder to graduate within 4 years."

You are right the economy is bad in Florida right now, but it should get better in about 2 years. Meanwhile UF is cutting 4,000 undergraduates to make up for this factor. In addition the legislature has agreed to raise tuition to the public university national average in a very short time (from 3k a year to almost 10k a year). The additional tuition revenue will be substantial. Also don't forget that UF id surpassing it's goal of raising over $1.5 billion in their latest Capital Campaign.
  • taxguytaxguy Posts: 6,494Registered User Senior Member
    I don't know who told you that University of Miami Law School is tanking,but they always had a fine law school ESPECIALLY in tax law.
    University of Miami School of Law was ranked 65th overall 2 years ago, and now they are down to 70th overall. Whereas Levin College of Law is ranked 47th overall and has the 2nd best tax program in USA.

In a few years Stetson College of Law will be ranked 3rd best overall in the state (behind Levin & FSU Law).
    So what: University of Miami has a slight advantage on the SAT for incoming freshmen the last 2 years. I am sure that UF will be ahead in the near future (the process is cyclical).

UF has a stronger endowment, better graduate programs, more researh expenditures, and a far more successful alumni base (we are 3 times the size). We also have a better overall athletic program. Sun-Tan-U is overrated, and is only a good option for lazy rich kids who could not get into a Top 25 private.
  • researchmavenresearchmaven Posts: 872Registered User Member
    SSobick-The Op was asking for helpful, factual input. You are not providing that. Calling people you don't know names like "lazy" doesn't provide any objective, useful information. Size does not equal success. Graduate research programs do not equate to undergraduate research opportunity. Do you have any news articles or personal experiences to share? If not, it's time top move on.
    I already stated that the Miller School of Medicine was quality, however UF Medicine and Shands are better.
  • taxguytaxguy Posts: 6,494Registered User Senior Member
    Ssobick, just based on cost, for instate folks, I generally like Florida better for a number of programs. HOWEVER, with state budget cuts, all state schools will be cutting back many programs,which will negatively impact Florida as well as many other state schools.

Also, Miami, does have a number of advantages despite the cost differential. They are a combination of the best of what is found in a big state school yet also the best of what is found in a much smaller, intimate environment. This means that they have a huge plethora of majors and have a number of course offerings in each major; yet, they generally have smaller classes than that of Florida.

In addition,where would you rather live: Miami or Pensacola? I can tell you that as a professor, Miami would be greatly preferable for social and family reasons.

Finally, south Florida has many more folks of wealth living there. Thus, Miami has a much better ability to garner a higher endowment in the future. In fact, over the years , Miami has significantly risen in the rankings far more than Florida has risen. Miami clearly is an institution on the move.
    "Finally, south Florida has many more folks of wealth living there. Thus, Miami has a much better ability to garner a higher endowment in the future. In fact, over the years , Miami has significantly risen in the rankings far more than Florida has risen. Miami clearly is an institution on the move."

First point: UF is in Gainesville and is rather close to Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa (and a number of beaches).

Also UM only has a $730 million dollar endowment (which is tiny for the more reputable private institutions), and is nearly half the size of the UF Foundation. Miami shot up the rankings because it is easy to shoot past lazy institutions that have no stake in growing it's reputation. IF, UM breaks into the Tier 1 category they are going to have a heck of a time inching up even 1 spot per year. Basically the competition gets 1000x more difficult when one gets into the Top-50.

Your point that wealth in South in Florida equates to giving at UM is ridiculous. In all honesty you will not out-fundraise UF, not in your wildest dreams... Compare your alumni base to UF.

Sun-Tan-U
    List of University of Miami alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Flagship University
    List of University of Florida people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia