Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

LSA: Neuroscience/Psychology Majors Difficulty

lewisstrawberrylewisstrawberry Posts: 155Registered User Junior Member
I am going to U of M next fall and I am very interested in the psychology department. I hope to major in Neuroscience or Psychology.

Does anyone know the average grade that students get from taking the courses required for Neuroscience and Psychology concentrations respectively? Is it also true that in terms of difficulty that Neuroscience and Psychology are complete opposites, Neuroscience being very difficult and Psychology much less difficult?

Also, for Neuroscience or Psychology must I apply to be able to major in these concentrations or can I automatically major in either as a freshman?
Post edited by lewisstrawberry on

Replies to: LSA: Neuroscience/Psychology Majors Difficulty

• InfinitInfinit Posts: 318Registered User Member
    You don't need to apply to major in anything, at least not in LSA. Just fulfill the credit requirements of the majors and you're good to go.

While I don't know much about the difficulty of the Neuroscience major, I hear that psychology is fairly easy.
  • gunit5gunit5 Posts: 188- Junior Member
    A large amount of the Neuroscience students are going to be pre-med which reigns in competition. Neuroscience is going to be a tougher major than Psychology, too; it's really detailed as it is part bio (well, I think is-who knows it may be different for you).
  • 2forcollege2forcollege Posts: 728Registered User Member
    You don't declare your major in LSA until your junior year. My best advice if you are interested in this area is to join UROP freshman year and get placed in a neuroscience lab doing research. This way you'll get hands on experience in your area of interest and if you are as fortunate as my D and several of her friends, you will get mentored by the prof leading your lab and get lots of great advice on which direction your going as well as opportunities for internships and fellowships.