Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Laundry Service

MichiganLHMichiganLH Posts: 5Registered User New Member
Has anyone used one of the laundry services on campus? If so, is it worth it? Which one is the best? I was looking at Campus Laundry. Thanks.
Post edited by MichiganLH on

Replies to: Laundry Service

• entenduintransitentenduintransit Posts: 564Registered User Member
    In my opinion no laundry service is worth it. Doing your own laundry is easy and much cheaper, and probably quicker as well.
  • VladenschlutteVladenschlutte Posts: 3,492Registered User Senior Member
    How much does laundry service cost?
  • MichiganLHMichiganLH Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Vladenschlutte: Campus Laundry costs $299 for the semester. Weekly pick-ups with 24 hour turn around.

entenduintransit: I originally thought the same thing. But I heard from a former student and parent at UMich that it was the best thing they ever did. They said it was well worth it for the time saved.
    Oh, that is a lot. For me that would work out to like, $20 a load. That's pretty ridiculous. Do they just have like 10 people subscribe or something?
  • AlexandreAlexandre Posts: 21,802Super Moderator Senior Member
    I love delegating work, but this seems ridiculous. $600/year seems relatively insignificant compared to the total cost of attendance. More than half of the students who attend the University pay $30-$55k per year to attend Michigan, and to many of those, $600 is trivial. Still, I think students should do their own laundry as it is something we should all learn to do. Who wants a complete stranger handling their unmentionables! ;)
    More than half of the students who attend the University pay $30-$55k per year to attend Michigan,

Can you provide some more detailed numbers? My perspective is probably skewed towards undergrads because I am an undergrad, but that seems impossibly high.
    Who wants a complete stranger handling their unmentionables!

I'd totally do it at a lower price point. Though it'd have to be a MUCH lower price-point.
  • MichiganLHMichiganLH Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    I found other services that have different rates. I guess Campus Laundry is a flat rate. Others go as low as $159 depending on how much laundry you have---determined by weight of laundry.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Posts: 21,802Super Moderator Senior Member
    Vladenschlutte, according to Michigan office of FA, 48% of undergrads receive financial aid of any sort. The remaining 50%+ pay the full cost of attendance, which is on average $28k for in-state students and $55k for OOS and international students. This is not surprising considering the fact that many students at the University come from wealthy families.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Posts: 6,487Registered User Senior Member
    How many weeks in a semester? Maybe 16-17 with exams? How much laundry do you do in a semester? Maybe on average one load a week, two at the outside? So yeah, $300 for a semester is something close to $10 to $20 per load. That seems awfully high. I guess if you were paying a flat rate you'd have an incentive to wash your sheets and towels more frequently, but still. I knew kids from Metro Detroit who would let their dirty laundry pile up and take it all home a couple of times per semester and wash it at their parents' house. I was envious because my parents lived several hundred miles away, but it's not so onerous to pop a few quarters in the washer and dryer on a Sunday afternoon while you're studying, and do a load or two. They really make it pretty convenient.
  • entenduintransitentenduintransit Posts: 564Registered User Member
    I did two loads of laundry every two weeks both semesters. Each time is $1.25/load to wash and $1/load to dry. So $4.50 in total. $4.50 every two weeks comes to around $35-40 for the whole semester. Plus less than $20 for Tide pods and dryer sheets. So you're looking at $60 maximum for DIY laundry vs. $300. Laundry services are very much overpriced.
  • MdeMde Posts: 434Registered User Member
    Holy crap.. is this really a discussion? You're a damn freshmen.. do your own laundry. Take on SOME life responsibilities. You go down a few floors and insert quarters...

It's not even worth it on a monetary sense for you to do it, spend time considering it, or make us spend time convincing you otherwise. Discussions like these are a lose-lose for everyone.. and my eyes.
  • riverbirchriverbirch Posts: 359Registered User Member
    I agree that it's good to learn to do your own laundry, it's a life skill that should be learned along with cooking. On my yearly Caribbean vacation laundry service is included and they usually manage to shrink something much to my chagrin. I tell my kids to wash everything in cold water which tends to save the heartache of a favorite piece shrinking. Last year my daughter was the only one in her apartment who didn't have laundry service so it must be quite common at U of M.