Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ACT vs. GPA

lovesehforeverlovesehforever Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
Between two candidates with VERY similar stats, would Michigan prefer the candidate with the higher ACT score or the candidate with a higher rank/GPA?
Post edited by lovesehforever on

Replies to: ACT vs. GPA

• yosupyosup Posts: 1,851Registered User Senior Member
    Definitely the latter.
  • rodneyrodney Posts: 9,406Registered User Senior Member
    Higher GPA; Umich could care less about rank....
  • yosupyosup Posts: 1,851Registered User Senior Member
    Umich could care less about rank....

^ Source?

IMO class rank is important to U of M since they judge you based on your school. For example, if someone has a low GPA (let's say a 3.0), then his rank will be very important, both for the applicant, and U of M in making a decision. If his class rank is really high, then U of M will know that the school is really difficult, and his 3.0 won't look so bad.
  • blackpen2008blackpen2008 Posts: 1,359Registered User Senior Member
    ^
    exactly. Rank is very important.
  • lovesehforeverlovesehforever Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    So how do my stats look so far? BTW, I'm a Junior, but I'll be applying early senior year.

ACT: 32 (as of now, but I have a feeling it will go up)
    Race: Asian
    State: Michigan
    AP's: APUSH - 4
    GPA: 3.78 UW, but I've taken loads of AP's
    EC's: Pretty good
    Leadership: Lots of student government leadership positions, a few clubs.
    Hook: None!

I'm just concerned that my G.P.A. is too low, especially because I'll be competing against other Asians with MUCH better statistics than me.
  • enemyunitenemyunit Posts: 500Registered User Member
    I got in with 3.67 UW but my ACT was 35. My ECs were on par with you, more or less.

But I got into EA, if you're doing RD then your chances would probably go down.
  • motion12345motion12345 Posts: 1,584Registered User Senior Member
    You're not only competing against other asians...you're competing against other people, asian and non-asian. I'm honestly sick and tired of asians claiming that because of the fact that they're asian, all of a sudden it's exponentially harder to get admitted into universities. Anyways, I got in with a 3.7 UW GPA (with only 4 AP classes, and having a C in AP Calc AB junior year), barely being in the top 20% of my class, OOS, and having a 2050 SAT, so you should be beyond fine.
  • jackdanielsjackdaniels Posts: 973Registered User Member
    You're fine. I got in OOS with a 30 ACT and a 4.5 UW gpa (top 5%) because michigan no longer recalculates GPA, they will look at your rank and the rigor of your classes. I will have taken 13 AP classes and the rest all honors by the time I graduate, however my grades were basically half As and half Bs, so I wasn't really great in terms of grades. But being top 5% of my school and taking the hardest classes I could take helped.

..but then again, I did apply EA. So your chances might be a little lower since you applied so late
  • CronoTriggerfanCronoTriggerfan Posts: 419Registered User Member
    Just apply as early as you can and I think you'll be okay, but if you can get that 3.78 to a 3.80, that'd definitely work in your favor. :)
  • rodneyrodney Posts: 9,406Registered User Senior Member
    source: OOS public HS naviance: 2006-2009: Umich defers all applicants below 3.7 UW GPA even though in top 5-10% of the class......noone is accepted upon reconsideration for RD...all with stellar rigor/sat's/act's (two with 2300 SAT's in fact)

note: this year with not recalculating GPA's ALL of these kids comparably are accepted right down to the 15%tile.....
    the difference between a 3.78 and 3.8 won't make a difference...what are you talking about Crono?
  • enemyunitenemyunit Posts: 500Registered User Member
    "source: OOS public HS naviance: 2006-2009: Umich defers all applicants below 3.7 UW GPA even though in top 5-10% of the class......noone is accepted upon reconsideration for RD...all with stellar rigor/sat's/act's (two with 2300 SAT's in fact)" - rodney

bullshat

I got in with a 3.67 UW OOS
    That was this year and rodney was referring to previous years enemyunit.

As well, one must attempt to come across as being an inquisitive and rather intelligent person in the essays if one's statistics are relatively low (I think, at least).
  • CronoTriggerfanCronoTriggerfan Posts: 419Registered User Member
    the difference between a 3.78 and 3.8 won't make a difference...what are you talking about Crono?
    See, now you're just trying to be belligerent. :/

Is there no difference between a 29 and a 30 on the ACT? Look, I'm not saying that there is some kind of "magic number" at any college, but straight numbers mean a lot. This year at our school, we had quite a few kids apply ED, and everyone who had below a 3.8 was deferred. Even a friend with a 3.75, an AP-riddled schedule, and a 30 ACT was deferred, and he applied in early October.
    Yet again Crono, I had a 3.7 (with only 4 AP's so far) and a 2050 when I applied and I'm OOS and yet I got in (I applied mid-October). People from my school with 3.85's and 2100+ SATs got deferred with taking either the same number of AP's as me or less AP's (I'm on the super-accelerated math track for our school while they're only on the slightly accelerated one so I just took more math AP's than them). Why, you ask? Because, in my essays, I showed them that I'm more intelligent than my numbers indicate...it's as simple as that.