Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Michigan Add Info Section?

confidentialconfidential Posts: 1,009Registered User Member
What are you going to attach for additional info section? I was thinknig about doing an activities list since theres no room to explain ur activities in detail.

P.S. How do you calculate UMich GPA? I hear core classes for soph/jun year.. what exactly are the core classes? 4 classes a year(english,math,socialstudies,science)?
Post edited by confidential on

Replies to: Michigan Add Info Section?

• A2Wolves6A2Wolves6 Posts: 4,232Registered User Senior Member
    UMich GPA

1) Take out Freshman year
    2) Take out all non-academic classes (only English, History, Math, Science, and Foreign Language)
    3) Take out all grade boosts, make it a 4.0 scale
    4) Take out all +/-

(yes, all your B+ grades in AP classes are counted as a 3)

As for additional info, if you run out of room at any of your ECs, grade explanations, family members, anyhwere, just attach the info from earlier.

Admissions counselors don't want to see a long list of superflourus activities. I spoke to a Michigan admissions counselor, and they said, just two or three heavily dedicated activities is fine.
  • confidentialconfidential Posts: 1,009Registered User Member
    im *$(&%$ ... does going to a good school help at all?

they don't even look at any other classes? wow i really dont know if i want to apply here anymore. they dont look at sat2's eitehr(800,780)
  • MatthewM04MatthewM04 Posts: 699Registered User Member
    To people in general:
    Geesh, so many people on this board talk about how they go to a challenging high school (more of an excuse for lower GPAs, I think). I don't care what people say, your high school doesn't have the national reputation you think it does.

To confidential:
    The average in-state GPA is 3.7 but people get in with GPAs lower than that. However, if it's below a 3.0, you probably don't have a chance (I believe 98% of students have a 3.0 or above). If you did well on SAT2's than you can probably do well on the SAT and make yourself look like a good applicant. Your high school will let the college know the kinds of advanced classes they offer so they can judge whether 2 APs is a maximum courseload or slacking off, etc.
  • S2530S2S2530S2 Posts: 500Registered User Member
    hey... does music count in this umich GPA? orchestra...? and how about music theory?
    I doubt it, those don't seem like "core classes." They want stuff like math, english, science, etc.
  • umardarrumardarr Posts: 883Registered User Member
    yea, no music
    No music, that's a grade booster.

Michigan does indeed look at school profiles when evaluating you. If you go to a school that they know about, and produces quality students, that will help you. Problem is, that's usually mainly "state" schools.
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 Posts: 827Registered User Member
    what about PLTW (Project Lead the Way) Classes. (Principles of Engineering, Introduction to Engineering Design)
  • hoedownhoedown Posts: 3,751Registered User Senior Member
    your high school doesn't have the national reputation you think it does.

It doesn't have to have a national rep. Admissions counselors make it their business to know about schools.
    If you go to a school that they know about, and produces quality students, that will help you. Problem is, that's usually mainly "state" schools.

No, it's not true that's U-M only knows about and favorably evaluated Michigan high schools.

After decades of receiving applications from all over the country, UM has a pretty good database on high schools all over. Remember that U-M gets MORE applications from OOS students than in-state students every single year.

Granted, if you're applying from Podunk County, Nebraska, they may not know your school, but they are able to find out things like the % who go on to 4-year colleges, number of AP courses offered, number of National Merit winners, and the mean ACT or SAT scores of students who took those tests.
    I know that, but there is no doubt that U-M has a better feel of in-state schools than OOS schools, which is just one of the reasons that OOS students are at a disadvantage when they apply.
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 Posts: 827Registered User Member
    again, what classes can count towards the UMich GPA? Does Principles of Engineering count (A Project Lead the Way course)? How about AP Programming 2 (i assume that would count, it is an AP class...)?
  • hoedownhoedown Posts: 3,751Registered User Senior Member
    which is just one of the reasons that OOS students are at a disadvantage when they apply.

That's not true, either. Generally speaking, OOS aren't competing with instate students on a head-to-head basis for places in the class. They're competing against other OOS students. If Michigan is relatively ignorant of OOS schools (something I still don't accept), then OOS applicants are all on a level playing field because they're equally disadvantaged.
  • IcicleRose88IcicleRose88 Posts: 707Registered User Member
    would public speaking count as a core class? how about intro to psychology?
    But that's what I meant hoedown. OOS is much tougher at Michigan, because there aren't that many OOS spots avaliable. You must be misinterpreting me.
    A2Wolves6 means it is harder for out-of-staters because there are more out-of-state applicants than in-state, and half as many spots for them. This is why out-of-staters average a GPA 0.2 points higher (3.9) and an ACT 2 points higher (27).