Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best Internship Possiblities for Economics Majors?

flapm_08flapm_08 Posts: 183Registered User Junior Member
I am looking to gain an internship for summer next year.

As an economics major, where would be the best place to look in terms of finding such an internship? Ross I know generally helps you out quite a bit, and I understand we Econ majors are forced to look a bit harder.
Post edited by flapm_08 on

Replies to: Best Internship Possiblities for Economics Majors?

• giants92giants92 Posts: 1,338Registered User Senior Member
    In which field(s) are you interested?
  • pancakespancakes Posts: 435Registered User Member
    Apparently nothing, haha.

For me, hedge funds, trading, IB... I'm still learning a lot about all of the different areas. I already have an internship this summer but next summer I'll be looking for more. Aside from cold-calling and asking family members and friends of family members, what else do I do to get interviews and internships? Can I just show up to a recruiting event at Ross or the Engineering school? Because LS&A (+honors) is really not helping me at all....... literally everything I've gotten here, I've gotten myself.
  • QwertyKeyQwertyKey Posts: 4,590Registered User Senior Member
    Out of curiousity, when are recruiting events? When can I find out. I never know there's recruiting for engineering going on until I go to Pierpont and can't get in the door.
    Because LS&A (+honors) is really not helping me at all....... literally everything I've gotten here, I've gotten myself.

Yea, welcome to LS & We Don't Help Our Students Get Jobs. (Get it? Kind of like the LS & Play nickname.)
    Aside from cold-calling and asking family members and friends of family members, what else do I do to get interviews and internships?

Not much more you can do.
    Out of curiousity, when are recruiting events? When can I find out.

Ross's iMpact has a calendar that anyone can view. Here's a link to a random week in November: http://www.bus.umich.edu/iMpact/Calendar/displayCalendar.asp?query_ord=1&layout_mode=0&layout_view=1&jump_date=11/17/2009

Had Rothschild, DB, CS, MS, and more info. sessions. Most recruiting events are in the fall. Full-time events are earlier, summer events are later.

Don't know about CoE.
    Can I just show up to a recruiting event at Ross or the Engineering school?

Yes.
  • pancakespancakes Posts: 435Registered User Member
    Yeah, it rolls off the tongue quite nicely.

I hate cold-calling... not so much the act as the fact that I have to do it. Sometimes I wonder where my tuition goes.
  • collegebound_guycollegebound_guy Posts: 574Registered User Member
    lmao..do they really call it "LS and play" on campus?
  • squaresquare Posts: 1,168Registered User Senior Member
    ^yeah they do, some engineering friends say it all the time but i think its kinda mean just because some of them have it easier than us.
    Out of curiousity, when are recruiting events? When can I find out.
    I'm sure coe sents out an email to coe students from time to time, i remember emails for both the fall career fair and some smaller recruitments. i think there's a calendar in coe website as well.
    Yea it's basically an engineering joke referencing the fact that a good deal of LS&A coursework is easier than engineering. Largely true I would say, but on the flip side, there are a ton of engineers who are terrible at writing (and thus would get smacked in english/philosophy/history/etc.).
  • QwertyKeyQwertyKey Posts: 4,590Registered User Senior Member
    The only person I've ever heard say "LS & Play" was someone in LSA. Given, I've only been here a year. Maybe the lingo hasn't sunk into all the freshmen's vocabularies yet.
  • RechargeRecharge Posts: 584Registered User Member
    To pancakes and anyone who has tried cold calling, how has your success rate been, and what are some good (or standard) things to say on the line? Do you call using your cell phone or what?

(My 500th post on CC!)
  • abc12327abc12327 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    pancakes, what year are you?
    Recharge wrote:
    What's LS & Play mean?

See post #9:
    giants92 wrote:
    Yea it's basically an engineering joke referencing the fact that a good deal of LS&A coursework is easier than engineering. Largely true I would say, but on the flip side, there are a ton of engineers who are terrible at writing (and thus would get smacked in english/philosophy/history/etc.).
  • abc12327abc12327 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    And giants, are you a rising sophomore?
    Rising senior.
  • eightletterseightletters Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    if you're not in bschool i think you can pay to access the job database in impact to get recruiters' contact information for all the firms that recruit at ross