Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Repertoire List

AlliesmomAlliesmom Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2010 in University of Michigan MT
My D has been taking voice lessons and performing for years. She has sung countless songs! Any suggestions on a format for this requirement to the Michigan application?
Post edited by Alliesmom on

Replies to: Repertoire List

• MTMamaMTMama Posts: 315Registered User Member
    Here is the link with the info on how to do the repertoire list:

http://www.music.umich.edu/prospective_students/admissions/ug/app_proc/resume_rep.htm

The list should be alphabetical by composer. My D then listed the song names under the composer and noted "M" for memorized and/or "P" for performed in parantheses after the song name. Then in an adjacent column she put the name of the show that the song was from. I think some others may have done it a little differently - but it does specify that it should be alphabetical by composer.

Good luck!
  • AlliesmomAlliesmom Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
    I'm sure these lists go on and on and on -- especially when you have had a kid who has been taking voice for seven years and has been in countless shows! How many pages was your list?
  • triplethreatx3triplethreatx3 Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    The information given says to focus on pieces studied during high school. Earlier works can be listed "if they represent significant milestones in your artistic development". In addition, "only include ensemble pieces in which you had lengthy/extensive solos".
  • AlliesmomAlliesmom Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
    Even in her HS career, D has sung lots of songs with her voice teacher -- usually as a teaching method. Do these types of songs count or is it just songs she has performed???
  • soozievtsoozievt Posts: 29,054Registered User, ! Senior Member
    If it is a song she has worked on and memorized, but not performed on stage, she can include it but just put an "M" next to it, and not a "P."

I also would follow what triplethreatx3 posted.
  • llong39llong39 Posts: 159Registered User Junior Member
    For your repertoire list, did you include the lyricist as well as the composer?
    Did you list the date of the composition?
  • llong39llong39 Posts: 159Registered User Junior Member
    One more question. Did you separate the classical pieces from the MT pieces?
  • MTMamaMTMama Posts: 315Registered User Member
    My daughter did include the lyricist, in parentheses after the composer's name. She did not list the dates, although that might be a good idea. And she also did not separate out classical from MT - another good idea! She had MT, movie songs, classical and pop all together alphabetized by composer - but then indicated in the column on the right the origin of the piece. There are lots of ways you can do this list, I guess. Sounds like you are on the right track - good luck with it!
  • ttmomttmom Posts: 313Registered User Member
    Here is what we did. Worked for us. Categories: Musical Theater, Cassical, Jazz, Solo with Ensemble.

Top of EVERY page Centered and Bold:
    NAME
    UM # Musical Theater

Centered and Bold Next:

REPERTOIRE LIST
    M=Memorized P=Performed

Categories on left, Bold, spacing: Composer:Show:Song: M, P or MP
    SOLO
    OOPS!! Part of my post got lost- so here it is- hope this helps!!
    She put the show in italics to distinguish from composer.
    MY D has been performing with professional compcompanies since age 11 but she mainly listed hs rep as already suggested. ;)

SOLO
    hmmm. Doing something wrong- oh well pm me if you want a sample!
  • BrownSugar106BrownSugar106 Posts: 144Registered User Junior Member
    I have a question about the Audition Repertoire, not the Repertoire List. The instructions say to format Composer: Title. What about monologues?
  • NotMamaRoseNotMamaRose Posts: 4,090Registered User Senior Member
    From what I can ascertain, they don't want to know what monologues you plan to perform. Michigan is very music oriented!
  • CharlotteStarletCharlotteStarlet Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    What if you haven't decided yet? Can you tell them ones you are thinking of, and say you will pick two from that list?
  • soozievtsoozievt Posts: 29,054Registered User, ! Senior Member
    NMR....Just to be clear...I know what BrownSugar is referring to....she is referring to on the application, they ask you what you songs, monologues and piano pieces you plan to do in your auditions (NOT the REP LIST). Indeed they DO ask for your monologues, as well as your songs. They want your songs, your monologues, AND your piano pieces which you will perform at auditions (again, NOT the big Repertoire List you compile). However, if you are not sure by the time you submit your application (my D wasn't...she did that app in late Sept), you may write "TBA". However, you must submit in writing your chosen pieces at least two weeks ahead of your audition date. My D auditioned Jan. 14 of her audition year and sent in the song, monologue and piano selections she planned to use at auditions before the holidays.

Charlotte...no, you would not give them a list of possibiliites. If you don't know yet, write TBA on the app and then send your selections at least two weeks in advance and these must be the actual selections, not a list of possible ones from which you plan to choose.

BrownSugar...I haven't looked at the latest app but in my D's year, there were teeny lines to list the audition rep.....and actually she didn't list it as she wrote TBA. But I don't recall any "format" to listing the audition pieces. There IS a format, however, for the Repertoire List that is part of the "resume" required that must be compiled as part of the Mich app. That list has NO monologues, just songs. (for the MT program)