Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

the ideal profile of an OOS student

Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,344CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
what are typical stats of and OOS student who would most likely be accepted

(these are mine, i'm a junior:
sat:1970, aps (phys,am, language), long list extra curriculars (some great, some are just OK)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Replies to: the ideal profile of an OOS student

• jags86jags86 Posts: 504. Member
    figure top 5% of class, 1450+ sats, great ec's. legacy helps, especially when your parents donate $.

If you can get into UNC out of state on your own merit, you can probably get into anywhere you want - so think of it that way.
  • SoccerGrl010SoccerGrl010 Posts: 218Registered User Junior Member
    when I was there, an admissions rep actually told me the average SAT for OOSers was 1300s-low 1400s. This really surprised me because from what I'd heard, I expected it to be higher.
  • fromdistantstarfromdistantstar Posts: 316Registered User Junior Member
    that's because UNC actually DOES want a well-rounded student.

me and a girl from the IB program applied
    both had the legacy connection
    both out of state
    she had a 1380 and i have a 1310
    both applied EA
    she got rejected and i got deferred.

i'd say at least a 1300, but it's really doubtful that you'll get in with anything below 1350. take difficult classes, make good grades, write excellent essays and have your personality shine through in your application.
  • SoccerGrl010SoccerGrl010 Posts: 218Registered User Junior Member
    I know UNC wants a well rounded student, but with such a small number of slots for OOSers, I guess I just assumed it would be higher. The admissions rep didn't say if that number included athletes though.
  • tarheelmomtarheelmom Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    The admissions office told us that the average SAT for OOS was in the 1300's, but I think that is deceptively low. I am assuming that must include special admits, such as athletes. In reality, I imagine that an "average" OOS student should have at least a 1400 to be competitive---Unfortunately, those SAT's are becoming ever more important!
  • ThatMomThatMom Posts: 455Registered User Member
    My D got in from OOS in the early round. Her stats fit what jags86 posted - except she's not a legacy. I will also add a very strong transcript is necessary (solid AP or IB classes). One other student from her school and a student from another school in our area were also accepted early - the same profile applies to them.
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,344CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    thanks! =)
  • polkovnikpolkovnik Posts: 107Registered User Junior Member
    I got OOS with no legacy at all. maybe me being foreign helped (Russian).

for your interests, here are my stats.

SAT I - 1420/2060 (710 M 710 V 640 W)
    SAT II - Physics: 780, US History: 790, Biology M: 720
    GPA - 4.00 UW (nothing but As on transcript)
    APs - Physics B, Biology, German, US History, World History (ALL 5)

Current Schedule (very important for college admissions)

AP Calculus BC
    AP English Literature
    AP Physics C
    AP Chemistry
    AP Microeconomics

I had my Calc BC and Chem teacher write me recommendation. We have been on friendly terms since either 9th and 10th grade, so they know me well. These are the keys for great teacher recs. My essays are not too bad, but not extraordinary (I am not a good writer as you can tell from my writing score).

Few but very focused ECs. (Sailing, Physics, YMCA)

Hope this helps

-Polkovnik
    awesome stats. i admire the 5 on your physics ap!! wow. im struggling so much in physics. =\ any books worth buying?
  • polkovnikpolkovnik Posts: 107Registered User Junior Member
    yeah, princeton review (has both physics b and c material) is great. i am sure your textbook is not bad as well. if your teacher sucks and does not present material in a way you understand (or in my case doesn't teach us anything at all) here is a link for videos that were taken of an MIT professor during his lectures.

MechanicsTopics:http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/index.htm

For Electricity and Magnetism Topics:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoLectures/index.htm

Great Resource tools
    yeahh my teacher is terrible. doesn't know anything. he was a bio teacher, and somehow he wound up teaching physics. thanks for the links!