Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which one of these would UNC like better?

csummerlin2008csummerlin2008 Posts: 389Registered User Member
Hi. I was just wondering if UNC Chapel Hill liked academics over extra-curriculars. I have been asked if I wanted to be editor of the yearbook, but I have to sacrifice two semesters my junior and senior year, combined to a total of 4 semesters. 2 of the 4 semesters will be counted as honors for being editor. I just didn't know if UNC would rather have a student who has a high position like this, or someone who has completed classes such as AP Stats, Honors Physics, AP Calculus AB (Part 1 & Part 2(2 AP credits are given)). These classes would be what I replaced in yearbook's place. So, would UNC rather have someone with leadership qualities or someone who took additional challenging classes and a has a bit of a higher GPA and class rank? Also, if it helps I plan on majoring in Pharmacology and then go to Pharmacy school to become a Pharmacist.

Below is my original post that I posted under High School Life.

Okay, my teacher of Yearbook has informed me that if I wanted to be the editor of Yearbook I could. However, it is two semesters and counts as a regular class. I would also be editor my Senior year, two more semesters. You get 1 honors credit for each year you are editor, so that would mean that 2 of the 4 credits would be honors.

I am really confused on whether or not I should drop yearbook. Do colleges look at having classes such as AP Stats and Honors Physics better than being editor of yearbook for the 2 junior semesters? I am just concerned with what colleges like better - editor of yearbook or AP/honors courses?

Also, I am a little concerned about my GPA and class rank. I am currently ranked 13 with a W GPA of 4.021. This should raise because I am enrolled in 2 honors classes, which I will get 5.0's in, but there is one regular course that I am having a bit of trouble with that I will get somewhere around a 3.5, at the least. I probably need all the AP and honors classes I can get to raise this GPA. That is why I am a bit concerned about taking up on the offer of becoming Yearbook editor.

If it helps my next year's(Junior year) schedule is:
AP English
Pre-Cal (Honors)
Yearbook (Honors)
Spanish 1
Chemistry
Honors US History
Yearbook (Regular)
Spanish 1

This ^^^ is my schedule if I were to be editor of yearbook. Only 3 classes are honors and 1 AP.

Below is my schedule if I were to drop Yearbook. I would have 2 AP classes and 3 honors classes. Which one should I go with???

AP English
Pre-Cal (Honors)
Honors Physics
Spanish 1
Chemistry
Honors US History
AP Stats
Spanish 2

Please help me make a decision! I am so confused! Thanks
Post edited by csummerlin2008 on

Replies to: Which one of these would UNC like better?

• thrills4everthrills4ever Posts: 813Registered User Member
    I think I would go with the Yearbook schedule, as that shows your apart of your school and interact with it. However, I think you should take an Honors Chemistry or Honors Spanish along with the yearbook schedule, since that would look solid. Why are you taking 2 foreign languages? Stick with one, and use the other as another AP/Honors??
  • csummerlin2008csummerlin2008 Posts: 389Registered User Member
    What do you mean? Do you mean that I am taking Spanish 1 fall, and Spanish 2 spring? The answer to that question is that it is my only choice. I have to have 3 foreign languages by the time I graduate, and they make you take Spanish 1 and Spanish 2 the same year. I am not sure why my school makes you do that, but it is a strict rule. I wish my school offered Honors Chemistry but all they offer is regular Chemistry, no AP or honors.

Should I still go with the yearbook schedule?
    what Spanish 1 at ur school is only 1 semester? Its not year round? In that case im not sure. Are u in-state?? If you are in-state, I dont think you should sweat that much. Go with the ybook schedule. If you are OOS I think you should go with the other schedule, since thats more challenging. Regardless, find the schedule where you think you can perform the best in.
    I am in-state. Do you think I have any chance at getting a scholarship? Would I have better chances if I were to drop yearbook?
    I dont think you should worry about getting into UNC if your instate. Ur only a sophomore, and u have 1 year to get ur grades up. Dont worry too much about it! I say go with ybk if you want to. Its up to u. Its too hard to tell if your gonna get a scholarship, as you prolly hvnt taken SATs yet. I think if you get ur rank from 13 up to around 5-6 b4 u apply then you have a shot.
  • CCRunner123CCRunner123 Posts: 1,280Registered User Senior Member
    I think your junior year schedule is kinda weak with only one AP.
  • prodj88prodj88 Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
    i know people who didn't take aps junior year and they got in fine (they were top 10% of their class too) . as for senior year u better take some lol
    Okay, this is why I was wondering if I should drop yearbook or not. If I have yearbook my senior year I plan on taking AP English, Spanish 3, E-Commerce 2, Yearbook 6 (Regular), Yearbook 7 (Honors), AP Stats, AP Calculus Part 1, AP Calculus Part 2 (for Part 1 & 2, you get one AP credit per semester, so one for Part 1 and 1 for part 2, for a total of 2 AP Credits ). So, if I took yearbook, that means I would only have 4 AP Classes all together for my high school career. If I dropped yearbook, I would have several AP classes in its place. However, I am also planning on taking some AP classes over the summer this year, probably AP Pyschology and/or AP Microeconomics.

Any other advide, knowing this???
    i think ur fine honestly. Go with the schedule that you think is best. UNC is like 85% in-state. ur top 10%, and I think if you go with ybk schedule it adds the feeling that ur a part of the school, and dont only care about ur grades. Plus you could send in stuff you did to UNC for the ybk as some of ur supplementals