Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

granville or south campus?

agc1998agc1998 Registered User Posts: 407 Member
I am going to UNC next year and was wondering what the best option is for me. I want a really social atmosphere, clean room, community feel, and lots of cool, easy-going people. Granville seems really nice, but I'm only like 75% sure I want to rush and I am afraid of being socially isolated from the rest of the class. Suggestions?

Replies to: granville or south campus?

• veileddreamerveileddreamer Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I lived on South my first year and the walk is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I have heard numerous freshmen that lived at Granville complain about a feeling of social isolation. It's also not that much nicer than a well-maintained, newer dorm like Koury/Hardin/Horton, to be totally honest. If it was me, making the decision with the info I know now, I would never ever pick Granville as a freshman. Especially because there is a LOT of construction going on right now, that I am not sure would be done by the time you come in the fall. Definitely go with South Campus; it's kind of a freshman rite of passage, lol. You want Koury or Hardin or Horton or the other one (you'll know what I mean looking at a map; there are four identically shaped buildings all together on South). Hinton James (aka HoJo) is a high-rise dorm and a nightmare when the elevators go out (not that that is often or anything) and just generally has a bad rep, as it is also the farthest from everything. Morrison is a great place to live. Carmichael is good on Mid Campus. If you can get a dorm on North Campus, be aware of the fact that you will mostly be surrounded by upperclassmen; it is hard to get a spot on North, so generally all the spots go to upperclassmen.
  • UNC2020AAmericanUNC2020AAmerican Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    @veileddreamer Hey veiled, I've been looking up information about Horton because I'll be staying there this fall; is there any more information that you can provide about Horton because I would like to hear more about Horton's maintenance and overall reputation from a student.
  • istheisareistheisare Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Off-topic but I love your avatar. Loveless is one of my favorite albums. Glad to see that another shoegaze lover is going to UNC next year, and I might be living in Granville too!
  • agc1998agc1998 Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    @istheisare yesss, loveless is an incredible album and shoegaze is arguably my favorite genre of music! Is your username a reference to the DIIV album?
This discussion has been closed.