Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Encouraged to apply for a scholarship does that mean accepted?

jenny790jenny790 Posts: 128Registered User Junior Member
My app has been complete for around two weeks and they sent me a letter today encouragin me to apply for a scholarship, does that mean that my app was impressive and that I might be admitted?
Post edited by jenny790 on

Replies to: Encouraged to apply for a scholarship does that mean accepted?

• jenny790jenny790 Posts: 128Registered User Junior Member
    well it was an e-mail
  • ninja.of.loveninja.of.love Posts: 599Registered User Junior Member
    Was it the Robertson Scholarship? All UNC Merit Aid awards except the Morehead-Cain do *not* require a separate application, or so I was told during a visit.
  • RLAJen07RLAJen07 Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    The Pogue requires a Separate application and is the only uniquely UNC scholarship that does.
  • ninja.of.loveninja.of.love Posts: 599Registered User Junior Member
    Jen07 is right, I forgot about that one since it's mainly geared for...people who aren't me.
  • merkurmerkur Posts: 256Registered User Junior Member
    Should the e-mail be taken as an indication the admissions office may consider referring your application to the Robertson selection committee for consideration? From other posts, it seems the "likely letters" don't come out until December. But surely they don't send an e-mail touting the Robertson to every EA applicant. If you applied on-line, I think the computer is set to identify those who meet a certain threshold, but the significance of this is very hard to measure.
  • Shannon08Shannon08 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    I got one of the e-mails encouraging me to apply for the same scholarship and I have only started my application--haven't submitted it yet. So I wouldn't read too much into it.
  • merkurmerkur Posts: 256Registered User Junior Member
    Jack, any opinion on this? We need someone to help us read the tea leaves!
  • eadadeadad Posts: 2,753Registered User Senior Member
    For those interested, jack won't be posting on CC any longer. I had lunch with her over Parent's weekend. She sends her regards and wishes all the best.

I wouldn't read anything into the email other than the fact that something about your application or the test scores you submitted triggered a response that says that you are a highly qualified candidate and should take your application to UNC seriously. If they have asked you to apply for a certain scholarship why not do it? You certainly have nothing to lose but a little time.