Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Breakfast of champions?

silversoulsilversoul Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
It's a question in the supplemental info section of the application. What does it mean? I'm an international student, so I'm too familiar with slang. I first thought it was asking for your favorite breakfast, but then I looked online for a definition, and it said: "a first alcoholic drink of the day, taken in the morning, instead of breakfast. (Collegiate.)" So is it just asking for something you like to drink every morning?
Post edited by silversoul on

Replies to: Breakfast of champions?

• zachalszachals Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    I thought it was just asking what you eat for breakfast, haha.

I put Honey Bunches of Oats
  • PolobearPolobear Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    It's a prestigious university. All its instructions are clear and literal. ...I don't know why you would assume it is slang talk.
  • keepittoyourselfkeepittoyourself Registered User Posts: 1,540 Senior Member
    ^ Point is that 'breakfast of champions' is slang talk...
  • silversoulsilversoul Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Hmm, it could just be "what is your favorite breakfast" if it wants to be straightforward. So is it asking for food or drink? I'll probably put down a drink, which could be part of the breakfast...
  • cloyingcloying Registered User Posts: 884 Member
    What's the question? Is it "What is your breakfast of champions"?
  • silversoulsilversoul Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    It was in a series of short questions, like favorite book, worst book, biggest little worry, and stuff like that.
  • Glimmer1991Glimmer1991 Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Eh, I think you're reading waaaay too far into this. It's simply asking what you eat for breakfast.
  • MrWheezyMrWheezy Registered User Posts: 445 Member
    It's asking you what's the perfect breakfast for you?

For instance if you were to go out to battle some crazy thing in the afternoon, what would you want for breakfast?
  • DeskPotatoDeskPotato Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    Just FYI for the original poster, the reference is to an advertising campaign for a specific breakfast cereal. There is a cereal called Wheaties that long ago adopted the slogan "breakfast of champions" and has always put pictures of notable athletes on their boxes. It's considered an honor in American sports to be on a Wheaties box.

But I think the question is either concrete (what do you eat for breakfast?) or metaphorical (what does it take to get you going on your big day of accomplishments?) depending on how you want to interpret it.

I'm struck, recently, by the number of kids who are flummoxed by the wording of the application questions--on another thread, a kid wasn't familiar with the phrase "what makes you tick?" If colleges are really interested in multi-culturalism and globalism, you'd think they'd use fewer of these American colloquialisms in the essay prompts!
  • UVAorBustUVAorBust Registered User Posts: 2,504 Senior Member
    Ok my response to that question: bacon egg salt pepper hot sauce ketchup on a roll
  • HarambeeHarambee Registered User Posts: 2,604 Senior Member
    Eh, I think you're reading waaaay too far into this. It's simply asking what you eat for breakfast.
    I agree, and that's what I thought too, but then a friend asked me what it meant, and then I see this thread...
  • hotpotato1092hotpotato1092 Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    Come up with something clever and witty, that's what I did.
  • TonyBallioniTonyBallioni Registered User Posts: 383 Member
    ^Clever and witty is always good.

They want something interesting, and they are not asking what your favourite liquor is.

My answer would be "Air" because I am an idiot and do not eat breakfast.
  • jn2011jn2011 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    kurt vonnegut!
This discussion has been closed.