Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Does UNC offer accounting as a major?

mastachiefmastachief Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
I couldnt find it on the UNC website or collegeboard
Post edited by mastachief on

Replies to: Does UNC offer accounting as a major?

• heyitslauriebethheyitslauriebeth Registered User Posts: 385 Member
    There is a major in business administration, with a concentration in accounting.
  • mastachiefmastachief Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    What exactly is the difference between a major in business admin w/ a concentration in accounting and a major in accounting? or are they the same?
    And would i be able to double major in finance/accounting at UNC?
  • heyitslauriebethheyitslauriebeth Registered User Posts: 385 Member
    You couldn't double major in business admin and finance/accounting at UNC, because there's no finance/accounting major alone. I'm nowhere close to an expert on the differences between a business administration major w/ a concentration in accounting versus an accounting major alone - but I can tell you that both of my parents are CPAs, and they both majored in business with a concentration in accounting. My mother did this at UNC & my dad at another school, and it's safe to say that having a business administration degree didn't hold them back from getting jobs in accounting. But, like I said, I'm not sure what the differences are - I'm sure there's someone else on here who can better tell you the differences, if there are any.
    Thanks! I too want to be a CPA which is why i was asking in the first place. Its good to know that a business admin w/ accounting concentration wont hold you back.

I assume it would be better to get a business admin w/ accounting concetration at UNC than go to a less prostegious school like NC State just to get an accounting major.
  • NCDanceMomNCDanceMom Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    I am also a CPA and majored in Business Administration with concentration in Accounting at another state university. I am not sure about the difference between UNC-CH and NC State as for future employment. While working in North Carolina, the CPA's from the Big 4 audit firms I have met have been a mix from the various NC schools including - UNC-CH, NC State, Duke and Wake Forest.

Good luck!
  • bquin21bquin21 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    Okay there is a lot of misinformation on here so let me clear it up for you.

There is NO undergraduate major that has an emphasis in accounting.

There are plenty of undergraduate courses that you can take in accounting, but the university realizes it is pointless to offer a Bachelors degree with a concentration in Accounting when you need 150 credits and considerable amounts of accounting courses in order to take the CPA.

There is a one year Master of Accounting program at Carolina that students who are interested in accounting can apply to. It is one of the best in the country to note.

You do NOT need to get a BSBA from Kenan-Flagler in order to get into the program. Program participants have degrees that vary from Mathematics to Sociology.

Also, you can get a degree from elsewhere and apply to the program.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the clarification. Is this MACC program at UNC only for non-accounting majors?
  • HoComomHoComom Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
    I don't know why I'm even posting here, since I'm not an accounting expert. However, I believe that in the time since my generation (I'm a parent) and yours (students), the coursework you need to sit for the CPA exam has changed from the equivalent of a BA degree to the equivalent of an MS degree. I think that might be partly what bquin21 is getting at.
This discussion has been closed.